Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Replacement RA & Dec drives?

mikeDnight

I was out this evening looking at a few binary stars when my RA drive stopped tracking. It's the shabbily made SW red controller that's the problem. It's less than 18 months old and this is the second time its let me down. I do not want to give up my manual control option so go-to is not an option. All I'm looking for is a trustworthy RA or RA & Dec drive. I don't want anything that has a nasty cheaply made Chinese origin. So what im looking for is anyone who can manufacture a reliable drive and hand controller for a Vixen GP / GPDX, either professional or amateur? 

41 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

I was out this evening looking at a few binary stars when my RA drive stopped tracking. It's the shabbily made SW red controller that's the problem. It's less than 18 months old and this is the second time its let me down. I do not want to give up my manual control option so go-to is not an option. All I'm looking for is a trustworthy RA or RA & Dec drive. I don't want anything that has a nasty cheaply made Chinese origin. So what im looking for is anyone who can manufacture a reliable drive and hand controller for a Vixen GP / GPDX, either professional or amateur? 

Mike, have you tried one of the Vixen DD-1 or 3 controllers with MT1 motors? I have them on my GP and they work beautifully. I have one or possibly two spare motors around if you can find a controller somewhere. They do come up every now and then.

There was an older DMD-1 controller and the MD5-SP motors that go with it on eBay but they have ended now, with no bids so may be relisted.

• Like 1

Thanks Stu,

I have two Vixen RA motors and one Vixen Dec motor, but only one controller. Although the motors run, the controller doesn't seem to work, so I'm assuming its the controller at fault. I bought the enhanced RA & Dec drive system by Skywatcher to replace the Vixen drives, and although everything initially worked fine, the "enhanced" controller internally is the nastiest piece of junk I've ever seen. I'll try and find a replacement Vixen hand control to see if the motors are ok, which I presume they are. I'd be happy with just an RA drive if that's all that's available. I'll have a look around and see what's available. 

15 minutes ago, John said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that the Bresser MON2 drives were compatible with the GP ?. I believe they are pretty decent quality - better than the Skywatcher set.

https://www.bresseruk.com/bresser-messier-ra-dec-motor-mon2.html

Thanks for that John. I might try this option as im unlikely to find the vixen drive anytime soon. 😊