NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which TWO scopes and which first?

Hi there,

I'm hoping to buy my first telescope shortly.  I have some sizeable trees in my garden so portability will be important, and I'm a lazy so-and-so, so I'm set on a goto mount - the SW az gti.

I understand that no scope can do it all and given that I'd like to see a bit of everything, I guess this will mean that I'll end up with two scopes at some point.  My question is, at this time of year am I likely to be better off observing planets or DSO's?  If planets, then I'm likely to buy the SW 127 Mak which seems to get good reviews and which comes in a package with the mount I want and so saves a few quid.

However, if needs be I can buy the mount separately, stick something else better suited to DSO's on it and defer the 127 until later.  Would a startravel 102 or 120 be a good bet?

If it's useful info, I've no particular preference between planets and DSO's and I'm not really bothered about astrophotography - just want to see some interesting things with minimal faffing.

Many thanks,

Richard

Opening up one of these then? 😁

The SW 127 mak is a very good lunar and planetary scope and light enough to,use with the AZ-GTI mount. The Bresser or Omegon 127 maks are a more deluxe version and are actually 127mm aperture unlike the SW which is about 119mm actual aperture. Bit more expensive though.

The SW 102 would be fine on the mount but the 120 would be a bit heavy for it. They are good at low power widefied use.but not so good at higher magnifications due to the CA or false colour. Focuser is usable but not exactly good quality but could always be replaced with a better one.

You might consider one of the Bresser refractors. This one has a great focuser.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102s-600-refractor-ota.html

Or there is this Opticstar one. Good focuser and build quality and very good optics for an achro.

http://www.opticstar.com/Run/Astronomy/Astro-Telescopes-Opticstar.asp?p=0_10_1_1_65

Or perhaps a small ED scope like this?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/sky-watcher-evostar-72ed-ds-pro-ota.html

61527E91-9008-4A7E-A2BD-F440274A9213.jpeg

Edited by johninderby

46 minutes ago, rdb22 said:

I have some sizeable trees in my garden so portability will be important, and I'm a lazy so-and-so, so I'm set on a goto mount - the SW az gti.

If you plan on moving the scope around during the night to dodge trees, you'll have to realign the goto each time, so keep that in mind.  It can also be challenging to find enough bright alignment stars not blocked by trees to achieve alignment.

Thanks for your input - particularly in pointing out the other brands. As a beginner it’s difficult to see beyond Celestron, Meade and skywatcher. 

I think in this case the economics make my mind up for me - the extra cost of the bresser plus the mount and tripod separately just doesn’t stack up against the SW package and the difference would cover a couple of eyepieces I think. 

So I think it’ll have to be the 127 mak package to start and then pick up a refractor once funds have recovered a bit. 

re: the trees, I have a good 90 degree arc to the north which is clear but very little view to the east.  Hopefully I should still be able to align ok.  The tree are all under protection orders unfortunately, otherwise I’d have another thread running asking which chainsaw I should buy!

thanks again. 

Yes, that’s the one I’m looking at. Is the tripod better? It’s aluminium and I’d assumed it was a weak point that could use an upgrade.

28 minutes ago, rdb22 said:

Yes, that’s the one I’m looking at. Is the tripod better? It’s aluminium and I’d assumed it was a weak point that could use an upgrade.

The tripod is better than the one that comes with the Synscan 127 and is usable but upgrading to this steel tripod is better. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/alt-azimuth/sky-watcher-38-stainless-steel-tripod.html

I use a Manfrotto 475 tripod but is a lot more expensive.

160715F9-0E06-474B-A586-6B471B11F16C.jpeg

• Like 1

I occasionally mount a Startravel 120 on the AZ-GTI and steel tripod. It's on the weight limit but so far no problems using it. Staying with a 1.25" diagonal and the plastic red dot finder shaves off a few grams.

A dielectric star diagonal and Baader Semi-Apo filter along with upgraded eyepieces does improve the view considerably. There's still some very minimal fringing around bright objects but it's not bothersome.

John is right about the aluminium tripod, its actually easy to topple the whole rig if you accidently knock the scope and I've read here of people with 127 Maks who suggest that scope is a bit much for the tripod. My Skymax 102 is OK on it though.

Tbh if you get the Skymax 127 you may find that's all you need for a while and if you really want another scope, an 8" dobsonian would compliment the Mak.

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

I use a Manfrotto 475 tripod but is a lot more expensive.

Not always.  If you're patient and watch ebay and craigslist, you can often find used ones in good condition for $75 to $150, sometimes with a nice fluid head still attached.  That's how I picked up my and my daughters tripods.  It helps to look for the older names like Manfrotto or Bogen 3068, 3051, or 3033.  All are fantastic tripods that will last a lifetime.  If you get really lucky, you might even score a 3058 (the beast known as the 161MK2B today).  However, most folks know what that tripod is and the used prices reflect that.

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

The standard tripod does have its uses though. 👍🏻

5D6AB8E2-ABB6-4A79-8C92-44196DB2D321.jpeg

Useful when observing dim objects to brighten them up a bit?  Sort of like firing off a flash from the bleachers at a concert.  Of course, I made it work at my kids' school concerts by firing off double potato masher handle flashes to light 'em up from 70 feet away.  The kids all knew when I was taking a picture. 😉

• Haha 2

The Mak will be a very long focal length and very narrow field of view. It also takes a fair amount of time to cool down. It is very good on planets, the moon, and smaller DSO but if you truly want a all around tool that will work on the AZ-GTi then the Skywatcher Evostar 120 is going to be the better choice. It is at the top end of the rated weight capacity of the AZ-GTi but the AZ-GTi will surprise you in what it can do. I use mine with a Tele Vue NP101is which is about a kg over the weight limit but the mount handles it fine. There are shakes when moving and focusing but I expected that since I am well over the rated weight. The Evostar is only 0.1 kg over so that should be less of a problem. The other nice thing about the Evostar is that it will do well on just about everything except globulars and other very small objects. Globular clusters need aperture and long focal length. I can see Glob's as well as small planetary nebulae in my 120 Takahashi but they are small. A 203mm SCT or Mak is the better choice for those. Plus the Evostar cools faster, has a good amount of aperture for a refractor, comes with everything you need to visually observe except the mount, and is a very good price for what you get. The Evostar is here:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-120-ota.html