Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OVL Hyperflex 7.2mm to 21.5mm zoom

I bought this for solar HA viewing and today it really got its first outing.

I have been using it a little for alignment of my wifi gti mount as it's great for zooming in on the unfocused star and really getting a good centre. However this doesn't tell you anything about performance.

Today I managed to finally get to grips with the LS35 I have, had been struggling a bit with eye position but seat out, get comfy and away we went.

After getting the sun disc where I wanted it, I started to zoom in on the proms that were showing at the top. Smooth action, very easy to control and all I can say is the views were nice and crisp. Didn't struggle with the narrow FOV associated with zooms although on a LS35 that really shouldn't be the case anyway. 

I did slap a 1.6 barlow lens on and pushed the magnification up again, both the eyepiece and scope worked like a dream together

I found the screw up eyecup on the Hyperflex to be really useful in getting the sweetspot on the Lunt and I think it was this that allowed me to get comfy (along with the chair) & helped me relax as I was viewing. All this meant it helped me have my best ever solar experience to date.

Not a lot else to say. Didn't experience any aberrations although I would like to try this out at night to give it a more thorough workout. Thus far though, happy to say it's a great buy and has found a place in my collection.

• Like 3

Good report Steve :smiley:

I have one of those zooms and I can say that it works pretty well at night too !

I add the Baader 2.25x barlow to it and get a very useful 9.5mm - 3.2mm zoom. Great for splitting double stars.

• Like 2

I have had a hyperflex for a couple of months now. Using it In my MAK127 it’s given really great Luna views. Tried it against my Morpheus eyepieces & although not as good (should hope not at the price difference), it’s not that far behind. Bought it to try out before getting a second to use in my binoviewers. My birthday on Friday & my misses has got the second as a present. Can’t wait to try them out in the BV’s.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, John said:

Good report Steve :smiley:

I have one of those zooms and I can say that it works pretty well at night too !

I add the Baader 2.25x barlow to it and get a very useful 9.5mm - 3.2mm zoom. Great for splitting double stars.

Never thought about using it this way John, I do like viewing doubles, I am more of a colour man rather than splitting but maybe because I have never really tried splitting doubles. 

• Like 1