Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Backlash on a new synscan Goto/4" skymax 102 system (and a finderscope question)

Hi all, just starting out and whilst experimenting with the new 'scope and it's goto mount, I realised immediately that there is a certain amount of backlash in the goto drive (Xmas present of a 4" Skymax 102 with a synscan Goto from Optical Vision of Woolpit via a cameral dealer in Cobham!).

How much is acceptable, but more interestingly how do you qunatify the amount of backlash - it seems the drive gears are working for about half a second before there is any shift in the scope view. Its all new kit and I'm not sure if it's working as it should?

The finder-scope question is a simple one. How do I ensure that the finder-scope says rock-solid aligned to the scope once set up? The very nature of the finder means its possible to move it anytime!

Thanks!

If you look through the synscan manual, there should be a section about adjusting backlash. Not that I've got anything to hand, but I think the backlash function on the handset is in the utilities menu.

The finder normally stays where it is without any adjustment even if you take it off the scope. I can't say I've had to do any major adjustmens to any of mine after the initial alignment was done.

Tony..

It sounds like it needs adjusting if there's a noticeable delay. I'd have a chat with your dealer before you open it up to adjust the mesh as this may invalidate your warranty.

BTW I know on the old Synscan form way back when you could adjust the backlash from the handset, I'm not familiar with the newer versions as I use EQmod.

Good luck

Archived