NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Usb hub issues

Hi Folks, 

So, I'm presently doing a dry run with all my kit before I take it out under the stars. 

I've hit on a problem. I have a cheap USB hub to which I've connected my EOS DSLR, QHY5-II and Heq5 mount. Unfortunately, this is not playing ball. If I plug the cables directly into the laptop all good. I only have 2usb ports on the laptop. 

Do I need a powered hub 12v or is it simply a matter of a better quality hub? Any suggestions would be appreciated 

Thanks 

Simon 

8 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Thanks, is there one that will run off my powertank? Any recommendations? 

I used an Anker 10-port hub (7 USB, 3 power ports): https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00VE4UJD4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I didn't really need the power ports but that was the package, and it worked perfectly. I've since upgraded to a Pegasus Power Box but still use the USB hub with my PC and it performs really well. It seems it's not available any more which is a shame! As long as it's a 12V input, your power tank should work fine with it.

Edited by SyedT

Much depends upon what you are trying to do. The cable length limit for USB3 is 3 metres and USB2 is 5 metres. Beyond that you can try 'active' cables or powered hubs. I was attempting merely 15 metres by USB from scope to indoor mission control and spent a fortune on the highest quality cable and hubs yet failed. The drop off in signal was so great it wouldn't handle all my devices (camera, focusser etc). In these circumstances, only WiFi or cat 6 cable will offer solutions. I use twin computers and Remote Desktop software to control that at scope and use that indoors as a dumb terminal and display.

7 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi and thanks for your help 

These look like mains powered adapters. I really need something that I can run on my powertank. Sorry if I'm missing something 

They usually have a 12volt DC input as well.

Dave

7 minutes ago, Simon Dunsmore said:

Hi and thanks for your help 

These look like mains powered adapters. I really need something that I can run on my powertank. Sorry if I'm missing something 

You can run a cigarette lighter cable to the USB hub as the hub has a 12V DC input. As long as your power tank is charged up and able to supply the voltage in a stable manner, it shouldn't matter where the power comes from as it's a DC supply either way. Just a point to make: The hub I used had a 2.5 mm jack, whereas most cigarette lighter cables tend to be 2.1 mm; I just bought a 2.1 mm to 2.5 mm connector and it worked fine.