Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Simple and cheap, motor drive for a helical focuser.

Rusted

Those of you who like helical focusers, or who [like me] have no choice in using them, can now have motor drive focusing.
Moreover, you can do so at quite low cost and using very few tools or materials. 

Being able to focus without touching the telescope is a huge bonus while imaging.
I use a long throw, [20mm] 2" helical focuser on my H-alpha, modified PST, 6" solar telescope.

Such a long telescope on a high pier and mounting often makes it difficult to reach the focuser.
Particularly when the computer monitor or laptop cannot be brought to the focuser.

Apart from a Skywatcher DC focuser, motor kit you'll need a 20T GT2 timing pulley and a 280T GT2 timing belt.
You'll also need a scrap of aluminium angle profile. A drill of some sort and a 5mm twist drill.
A couple of long 5mm screws and lots of nuts [or Nyloc nuts] plus two 64mm stainless steel screw [hose] clamps.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, johninderby said:

3D printing a dovetail bar that would fit into a standard finder shoe allowed me to use the mounting bracket that came with the focus motor. 

Yes I spotted that. Neat!  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

Russ,

It’s not how you look, it’s about you perform!

If it works, then just enjoy!

I'm a martyr to scrap metal! It can never resist me! :laugh2: