NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telementor rings

I received these 80mm rings from TS today, and they fit my Telementor II perfectly. Annoyingly they were missing one piece of lining felt but I’ve found some which fits perfectly well so don’t think it will be an issue. I found a little stubby but if Vixen dovetail which fits well and should do the job but may well find or acquire another slightly longer piece from elsewhere.

The scope previously had the dovetail fitted to the OTA but this was narrower than a Vixen standard one so needed a bit of bodging to fit in a standard saddle.

So, the scope now fits very easily into any of my mounts, plus I can rotate it so that the focuser is correctly positioned to the side and the gun sights are easier to access. They are slightly blocked by the rings, but I think I will fit a finder shoe to the top of the rings and mount a finder on there, much easier.

Anyway, now just waiting for the clear skies to return.

CEC344CE-76E1-4C80-8FF7-3686C5DCE97E.jpeg

D285520E-5534-4370-9157-79AD53EEB3EA.jpeg

21CEE8CD-4D65-4267-A622-09BAC52CD32D.jpeg

0FB6AFE2-DEF2-402B-9D9A-C031E08120DE.jpeg

60BF24A1-9BBD-43BF-AEEE-6EAD7F1BC5BE.jpeg

78A0601A-3FE1-442D-A6AD-DA5EC7EE39C4.jpeg

C51C416F-DA3C-42A0-891C-0CB2A0A9B7C1.jpeg

C6A61D0F-9D87-4F4E-9D8C-343B816E5330.jpeg

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

very nice Stu, wondering what the TAL is on the other side? Doesn't look like an M, an Alcor perhaps or am I a galaxy or 3 wide of the mark there?

It is indeed an Alkor Dave, lovely little thing.

I posted about them just the other day here:

Nice to get them both on the same mount now so I can do more side by side comparisons.

• Like 1

there's something about the older gear, a little agricultural in look compared to modern gear, but build quality is just so good, made to last a lifetime and then some. I'd love to acquire a telementor one day but fund's way too limited for that lol, but am quite happy with the 100RS, 1 and M that I do have :) 

50 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

there's something about the older gear, a little agricultural in look compared to modern gear, but build quality is just so good, made to last a lifetime and then some. I'd love to acquire a telementor one day but fund's way too limited for that lol, but am quite happy with the 100RS, 1 and M that I do have :) 

I picked up this OTA for around £200 I think, so really not too bad. You can pay silly money for them, and with a mount and eyepieces they around probably more like £500 Plus normally I think. I wasn’t really interested in the mount so this was a good but for me. Adding the clicklock makes life easier.

I was really happy with my purchase too (50th birthday present to scratch an itch for a telementor I'd had since I first got into astro in the mid 1980s).  I paid £350 for scope, mount, and a few Zeiss eyepieces 😎 all in excellent condition.

Hmmm adding rings might make it more versatile for travel - the mount is quite robust (beautifully engineered though)

Helen

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Helen said:

I was really happy with my purchase too (50th birthday present to scratch an itch for a telementor I'd had since I first got into astro in the mid 1980s).  I paid £350 for scope, mount, and a few Zeiss eyepieces 😎 all in excellent condition.

Hmmm adding rings might make it more versatile for travel - the mount is quite robust (beautifully engineered though)

Helen

Wow, that sounds like a great deal Helen!

It is simple enough to add the rings without making any mods or changes so why not? Quite nice to use the scope on other mounts.

I have done the same on my Alkor, no physical changes but I used Munsen rings to add a dovetail so I can use it more flexibly.