NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Star adventurer wedge alternative

Bobby1970

I want to get hold of another wedge, for use with my AZGti in EQ mode. 

First thought was to just get another Star adventurer one. 

But I noticed this:-

https://www.365astronomy.com/365Astronomy-365651-Mini-Wedge.html

Has anyone any experience of this? 

It's a bit more pricey than the original but not in the same league as the WO alternative price wise. 

17 minutes ago, Jonk said:

I don’t like the SA wedge at all, so I use a Manfrotto junior geared head.

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/410-junior-geared-tripod-head-easy-to-use-ergonomic-knobs-410/

Alignment is very easy and it’s more stable.

The other bonus is remove the SA and attach a camera / scope directly

Simples.

That looks like a very nice. It of kit. But. If i were going to spend that sort of money I would go for one of these :-

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics-mounts/william-optics-wedge-and-extension-bar-for-skywatcher-star-adventurer-and-ioptron-skyguider-pro.html

Thanks anyway. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jonk said:

Looks the same as the one on my original post. 

Would be good to know of anyone has used one. Judging by the lack of responses I would say not. Looks a well made not of kit tho. More robust than the standard SA wedge. 

18 minutes ago, Bobby1970 said:

Looks the same as the one on my original post. 

Would be good to know of anyone has used one. Judging by the lack of responses I would say not. Looks a well made not of kit tho. More robust than the standard SA wedge. 

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7929_TS-Optics-ATC-Wedge---Mini-Equatorial-Wedge-for-Giro--AstroTrac--photo-tripods.html

It has 4 reviews and average "star" score of 4.5. That does not tell much but this description, although I can't really tell what reviewer intended to say - kind of tells a story about this item:

Compact and compact, it's easy to carry. This is the best advantage. Structurally, operability at the time of adjustment tends to become difficult in proportion to the mounting ability. Also, since it is sensitive to loosening of screws, caution is also required to maintain accuracy.

It sounds like greatest point is that it is both compact and also compact and there is off chance of it loosing accuracy because screws become loose.

I would not want such review on wedge that is supposed to hold imaging gear.

• Like 1

Here is google translate of french review - it does not sound best either:

Improving fluidity by inserting teflon plates and blocking the azimuthal stops would be a plus. Holding the mount bracket with a screw and a hoop will further enhance the product. Excellent value. The above modifications are easy to tinker

• Like 1

I have decided just to get a standard SA one now. They can be tweaked and improved if needed. I got another counterweight and rod too. All for the same price as the wedge I was looking at. I'm sure it will be fine. Thanks all

I used to own that linked wedge. Adjustments in altitude were near impossible. It’s difficult to lift the weight of the SA + scope + counterweight just by turning the little red knob. You need to tilt the altitude of the wedge up by hand and then freely turn the red knob. It is a solid wedge though.  I swapped to the WO wedge and I’m much happier. I have no experience with the SW wedge. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cometeer said:

I used to own that linked wedge. Adjustments in altitude were near impossible. It’s difficult to lift the weight of the SA + scope + counterweight just by turning the little red knob. You need to tilt the altitude of the wedge up by hand and then freely turn the red knob. It is a solid wedge though.  I swapped to the WO wedge and I’m much happier. I have no experience with the SW wedge. 

Thanks for the info. The issue you mention was something I thought may have been an issue. The WO one looks amazing. But too rich for me lol. Will see how I get on with a other star adventurer one. Can't say I have ever noticed too much wrong with the one on my SA do fingers crossed another one will be fine for using with the AZGTI. 🙂