Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binocular mount

Karen Bexley

Apologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere, but a search didn't reveal anything.

I am just starting out in astronomy and intend initially to use my Leica 8 x 32 binoculars.  Can anyone recommend a suitable mount that would attach to a reclining garden chair frame.

I do have a camera tripod as well is there's an adaptor to use with that.

Any help appreciated.

Hi Karen

does your Leica have a tripod screw option, if its a roof prism type probably not, in which case you'd need the velcro type which can be a pain as it can cause the tubes to close losing the IPD setting. I'd guess this could be worked around with a suitable wedge between the tubes though. As for a mount to use in a chair I don't know of any designed for a recliner tho you may be able to adapt a hide mount perhaps, no idea tho. You may find a monopod will do what you need, as in add stability, otherwise you're into parallelogram territory. The latter would suit much larger binoculars should you decide to go that route but they aren't cheap and do need a suitable tripod to attach to.

HTH

edit: a quick google and... maybe you could try your hand at making one ;) 

Edited by DaveL59

Thanks Dave.

Unfortunately, the Leica doesn't have a tripod screw option, so I guess I'm going to be out of luck there then.

For the time being, I may just have to have as steady a hand as possible (not too much Prosecco before a viewing session 😋).

10 minutes ago, Karen Bexley said:

Thanks Dave.

Unfortunately, the Leica doesn't have a tripod screw option, so I guess I'm going to be out of luck there then.

For the time being, I may just have to have as steady a hand as possible (not too much Prosecco before a viewing session 😋).

I noted you mentioned a tripod adaptor though, so a ball-head (manfrotto 222 or similar) and monopod would work to give stability and the ability to get a relaxed view angle. Alternatively, fully extend 2 tripod legs such that they splay either side of you and tilt it back, though it's never seemed very practical to me to do this. Another option is something like this tho I'm not sure they suit roof-prism binos
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FRESHOLD-BINOCULAR-SUPPORT/254211860873

9 minutes ago, Karen Bexley said:

Thanks again Dave.  Maybe if you have the number for 'Bob the builder' I may get lucky, otherwise I think that is a bit beyond my capabilities.

I reckon Plan B is in order 🤔

funnily enough He's called Peter, on here ;)

Dave, sorry if I didn't make it very clear on the posting regarding the adaptor for my digiscoping set up.  The adaptor was to connect the camera lens to the field scope so it would screw together, and not a tripod adapter.

I think I'm getting into a very complicated area here to have the bins supported on any form of mount.  If they were of the design that had a tripod fitting it sounds like it would be a lot simpler.  The advice so far has been great, for which I think everyone, but I think I'm just going to have to make do with hand-holding the bins as best I can.

18 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

funnily enough He's called Peter, on here ;)

Well then, maybe Peter will come to my rescue and save a lady in distress 🤭

Actually, I've slightly gone off the idea of trying to get a mount adapted to my particular bins, as it doesn't sound like an easy solution.

It was worth a try though.

5 minutes ago, DaveL59 said:

no worries. You may well find that elbows on the arms of the chair is all you need, worth giving that a go and see how you get on :) 

The simpler solutions usually turn out to be the best there Dave.  I think I was just trying to overcomplicate things 😳