Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astrophotography on an iPhone - Which camera app?

Hello

Although I'm new to amateur astronomy, I'm trying to use my binoculars and my telescope (when I get one) to take some photos of the Moon, other planets and perhaps some DSOs. I will be using my iPhone XR as my only tool for capturing these photos since I'm tight on a budget.

The problem is that you can't accomplish much on the astrophotography front with the stock camera app on iOS due to the lack of manual settings.

What app would you recommend that features manual ISO, exposure, long exposure (I need at least 30 seconds) and is a worthy replacement of the default camera app. I've done some quick search but I can't decide which one is best for astrophotography as well as daily use. Some apps I've found are Halide, ProCamera, ProCam, Camera+ 2 and NightCap Camera. Which one would you recommend as the one with the most features and ease of use?

Edited by newAstronomer

Hello and welcome to this great endeavor.

As to iPhone apps, check out Mike Weasner's great review of three new apps.

http://www.weasner.com/co/Reports/2020/04/28/index.html

Of course, there are several more apps available for the iPhone., such as Nightcap Camera.

These are image capture pass, but you will need some others for guiding and post processing.

A web search should help there.

Enjoy the ride and stay healthy.

Fivel

I find Nightcap is OK.  Here's one I took earlier - handheld with a C8 and Nagler 22.  I could really do with something to hold my iphone - getting it lined up was the hardest part.

2020-04-25 21.56.56.jpg

Edited by Oldfort

Here is a smartphone adapter that was well reviewed by Mike Weasner on his website.

Levenhuk A10 Universal Smartphone Adapter for Telescopes, Microscopes and Binoculars

Just Google this to find vendors and prices.

Fivel

On 29/04/2020 at 17:56, Fivel said:

Hello and welcome to this great endeavor.

As to iPhone apps, check out Mike Weasner's great review of three new apps.

http://www.weasner.com/co/Reports/2020/04/28/index.html

Of course, there are several more apps available for the iPhone., such as Nightcap Camera.

These are image capture pass, but you will need some others for guiding and post processing.

A web search should help there.

Enjoy the ride and stay healthy.

Fivel

Very useful site, thank you. Although the iphone software reviews were not on the link you gave me. I found it here: http://www.weasner.com/co/reviews.html#iphonesw

Great, thank you for all your replies. I decided to buy NightCap Camera. So far it's a great app, only problem is that in order to take long exposure or even slow shutter photos I absolutely need a smartphone adapter to keep it steady.

I use ProCam 7 on my iPhone 11 Pro and it works very well. Adaptor wise, the Celestron NeXYZ is excellent, as is the Orion SteadyPix EZ.

Two from last night with a 4” scope.

3F9F6AFD-3FD3-42DB-812B-0B54AEE84D31.jpeg

EEA05D9A-3FBE-4DD0-BC92-FC95DC50351F.jpeg

• 4 months later...