Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 - Can never have enough

bdlbug

...M51 is such a beautiful galaxy and everyone has a different approach and processing - this galaxy season members of this forum have given us some stunners.

This image has 8hrs total exposure.
I captured 1hr Lum around 10th April in 2019 and exactly a year later another hour on 10th April 2020. The 2hrs each channel of RGB been a matter of capturing 10,20 or 30 subs round 9:30pm -11pm from 10th -22nd April depending on darkness of sky and before M51 disappears near the zenith as I cant see that from in my POD - its only time I have really been limited in imaging time due to my choice of obsy.
All subs 120s with ASI1600MM-Cool, unity gain using Baader filters with an IDAS D2 in front of everything,

Integrated in APP, processed PI and PS - Its been cropped to remove registration overlaps but nothing too severe - I think image could be cropped further but I prefer the wider view that presents the context of the galaxy against deep space, and there's  30 million light years of space between us and M51 - incomprehensible

Bryan

1924846002_M51WhirlpoolGalaxyLRGB8hrsV10.thumb.png.c1fc26f76f798c75daa4edf0999867ae.png

• Like 16

@CCD Imager - I uploaded the PNG version to SGL , if you click the image the forum will download you that full res image in a new tab, the image inline on the post has been auto-magically re-sized for inline viewing.
if that doesn't work for you I've posted it on AstroBin now as well, so that has full details and ability to download full resolution - Thumbnail below links to AstroBin version

get.jpg?insecure