Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

GTD - Gemini vs MESU 200e vs Fast linear buying advice?

Gorr_77

I want to and i will make that decision today..

Thank you very much everyone ... it was great pleasure to read all of your expert advice. I have to go through only few questions that only me and myself can answer, but i am strongly leaning towards Gemini E.Fric!!!!🎉🎆🎈

Main reason - mostly -Before  i have my permanent OBSy -  i will struggle with the weight of the other mounts, and my current Avalon M-zero cannot take C11 nor doube tele ,

"The key is not spending time , but investing it" - Stephen R.Covey,

so let me invest in this rewarding hobby right now without wasting any time.

One again thank you for your  help and i will make sure that i will keep updated everyone who is interested, on the performance. 

Kindest regards

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorr_77 said:

Davey-T, how is your HPS? did you ever taken apart? - just curiosity... 

Not allowed to take it apart otherwise warranty is voided, it's got stickers over the screws.

Dave

Hey, a mesu 200 user here. The mount is a great value for the price. The sitech 2 controller has a learning curve, but on the sitech groups you will find help fast. Also mr. Mesu himself answer any email as soon as posible. The sitech software incorporates mount modeling. With modeling you get better pointing accuracy and tracking. I did try different models just to learn the software, and the best rms value  I got was 17 arcseconds (that is very good for a mount with no absolute encoders). Mount modeling is best done with a rigid imaging gear aka a refractor on the mount. When I tried modeling with my sct I did not get consitent results because of mirror shift/flop. I did write a small tutorial about modeling a mesu on this forum (search mesu mount model).

Absolute encoders are nice to have, but not a necesity, more like a luxury. Even with absolute encoders, if you have a long focal length scope you may need to guide!

Just remember if you choose a Mesu, read the manuals and take your time with it. Sometimes I got frustrated with the sitech software because I did not have pacience to learn the software. Some users said it was build by an engineer for an engineer :) , but the mount delivers the goods!

I hope I gave you some advice. I highly recommend the mesu.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/04/2020 at 20:07, Zakalwe said:

You'd be fine with a Mesu, though less so if yo are setting up each night. It's a heavy lump of a thing. The newer version can be broken down, but get in the gym if you want to be humping it about the place.

I have the MESU200 1st version. I am 68, in good shape, but not very muscular (65kg). I also thought the Mesu 200 was a little heavy for me, when I considered it a few yars ago, and I asked Lucas Mesu if he could make a splittable version of the mount for me. He could. And since then he has been offering the Mesu 200 splittable in two part of approx. 15 kg each as an option. I have to set up every single time I want to observe, and with the splittable version of the Mesu200 it's a breeze. There are 4 M6 bolts joining the dec-part and the RA-part, plus two hand-bolts to attach the mount to the tripod, which in my case is a Berlebach Planet small (11kg). Takes under 15min to set up, all by myself. See also my posts at Cloudynights with an animated Gif demonstating the assembly of the parts.

I read the Mesu e200 mount head weighs the same as one part of the Mesu 200, plus the wedge. So it also splittable, so to speak.

Edited by Ryuno
I hadn't finished wiriting..
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Avalon is gone now and 3 more weeks to the 1st delivery attempt of the E.Fric. :). I've decided to mount it on BB Planet - after chating here with few members, there will be an 200mmm circular adapter bolted to the Top tripod plate, with 6 x M6 countersunk - possibly large 2 inch build up aluminum plate between tripod and mount base. Counterweights - SS 316 or 303 - 150mm diameter - i have few quotes: 2 locals now: and from Rowan Astro , but i am not sure yet - i will have to decide soon. Power supply is 18V - 3 Amp.  And a last thing: controller - working on StepOne and on Pulsar 2 .. Sitech won't work (not at the moment), StarGo - i didn't get very exited using it on the Avalon... it was working fine - once you get going  (it might take a hr or two),.. Gemini software (from G11) - won't work,... 

• 1 year later...
On 30/04/2020 at 20:28, Northernlight said:

The price delivered to Europe is 3600 euros, the 2,995 price is for outside of europe

Wow, I'm late to the party. Currently the e.fric is EUR 4636,- for European customers. For 3600 I would have bought it. Now I'd rather go the Mesu rout, since it's 30kg payload on the e.fric vs. 100kg on the Mesu for almost the same price.

What I found interesting in this thread was the comparison of those two friction drive mounts with the CEM120, which is a worm-gear mount in a very simillar price range. Even if I haden't experienced the poor build quality of iOptron mounts myself (on my CEM70) I would never choose a worm mount over a fric.

Comparing a chinese worm-gear mount with European fric-drive mounts? They do not even play in the same league quality wise.

Edited by Prudentis