NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQM-35 Slewing problems

Hey all,

I bought a power supply for the EQM35-PRO GoTo to test out the various functions of the mount, and I cannot get it to slew in the RA. DEC slewing seems fine, but everything I try to make it slew in RA doesn't seem to work. I checked my wiring, and it looks to be correct, at least according to the manual. I'm using a 12V 3A DC power supply, which If I'm not mistaken has a positive tip, you can find it here : https://www.distrelec.ch/en/output-plug-in-switched-mode-power-supply-12v-3a-mean-well-gst36e12-p1j/p/30042793

Any Ideas? Here's a video of the problem in question : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O82579Uc6lk5Dn5RPX525fhroqe1164j/view?usp=sharing

(sorry for the poor quality of the recording)

2 hours ago, Samibotss said:

(sorry for the poor quality of the recording)

It is the power supply that concerns me 😁

Seriously, most mount faults can be traced to a duff power supply. Do you have a good one you can use for testing? 

Needless to say if I am wrong then we will happily arrange collection / replacement. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Is this a new mount you are operating for the first time? Faulty mount or handset. 

Is the RA motor able to track? 

Does RA slew at the slowest setting? 

Does the power LED on the mount go out when you try RA slews? 

Probably the power supply isn't powerful enough, spec may be 3A but may not be true. 

38 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

Is this a new mount you are operating for the first time? Faulty mount or handset. 

Is the RA motor able to track? 

Does RA slew at the slowest setting? 

Does the power LED on the mount go out when you try RA slews? 

Probably the power supply isn't powerful enough, spec may be 3A but may not be true. 

New mount indeed.

I didn't do any tracking test, I assume it wouldn't seeing as though it doesn't move. I tried manually moving the it along the RA axis, and then parking it to the home position, but again, only DEC slewed.

I tested different rates, but it doesn't seem to slew in any of those, as the gears are immobile.

I don't see any power LEDs on the mount, I wasn't aware there was one.

As for the power supply, I also tested it by plugging it into my car with the supplied cigarette lighter cable, and the same problem occured.

At this point I'm wondering whether I can simply replace the faulty motor, or even maybe open it up to see what happens when I try to slew. If the handset is the faulty component here, I don't know how I would go about testing that out. I don't have a lynx cable for EQMod, and I don't have the hardware required to update the handset's firmware.

Well I would leave it tracking for 10 minutes or so to see if RA is tracking but not slewing. 

Try replugging so that the working Dec electronics are driving RA, and vice versa. 

But if it's new and not working I would return it, opening it up will invalidate the gaurentee. 

Michael 

Edited by michael8554

16 hours ago, michael8554 said:

Well I would leave it tracking for 10 minutes or so to see if RA is tracking but not slewing. 

Try replugging so that the working Dec electronics are driving RA, and vice versa. 

But if it's new and not working I would return it, opening it up will invalidate the gaurentee. 

Michael 

It doesn't seem to track, I left for a while and was still in the same position RA-wise.

Inverting the wiring for DEC and RA does nothing.

I'll probably end having to return it, but if it can be fixed by just replacing the motor, or if I can somehow make sure it's not the handset (it probably isn't since it doesn't track anyways), that would be nice.

Thanks for your input!

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

I think the cable swap shows the RA motor is faulty. 

Any way you can tell if RA is jammed? Is there very slight play if you gently rock RA ? 

Michael 

There doesn't seem to be any play, I do note that the gears just don't move at all, and don't produce any noise, it's as if the motor is completely dead