NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dawn planets

kerrylewis

I set the mount up in the front garden last night hoping for a first telescopic view of the dawn trio. This is the only place that I can view the low south east

I got up just after 4.00 and fixed the Tak - I wasn’t going to leave that out overnight!

Unfortunately , as I half expected, seeing was pretty awful due to the miles of atmosphere in the way. Jupiter was a featureless blob at first though it improved as it climbed a little higher and the scope cooled. The best I could manage though was glimpses of the belts. Low magnification was best with a beautiful view of the moons evenly spaced either side. 

Low magnification was also best for Saturn - jewel like  as usual with a pronounced orange cast due to the altitude.

Then Mars - just a small reddish disk of course but good to see it again ahead of better things later in the year.

So, not a morning for planetary detail but pleasant enough; very quiet with just the dawn chorus. Great to meet these old friends again and looking forward to more in the months to come.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

I set the mount up in the front garden last night hoping for a first telescopic view of the dawn trio. This is the only place that I can view the low south east

I got up just after 4.00 and fixed the Tak - I wasn’t going to leave that out overnight!

Unfortunately , as I half expected, seeing was pretty awful due to the miles of atmosphere in the way. Jupiter was a featureless blob at first though it improved as it climbed a little higher and the scope cooled. The best I could manage though was glimpses of the belts. Low magnification was best with a beautiful view of the moons evenly spaced either side. 

Low magnification was also best for Saturn - jewel like  as usual with a pronounced orange cast due to the altitude.

Then Mars - just a small reddish disk of course but good to see it again ahead of better things later in the year.

So, not a morning for planetary detail but pleasant enough; very quiet with just the dawn chorus. Great to meet these old friends again and looking forward to more in the months to come.

Got up at five to do a bit of planetary observing but like you found the seeing was really poor. Yes could see Jupiter and a few moons but no detail at all. 🙁

21 minutes ago, kerrylewis said:

Thanks for the update. I two am intending on getting up early one morning this week to have a look at these 3 planets. As you have mentioned I am not holding out for great views, But just to see them all rising together should be an excellent sight.

37 minutes ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Thanks for the update. I two am intending on getting up early one morning this week to have a look at these 3 planets. As you have mentioned I am not holding out for great views, But just to see them all rising together should be an excellent sight.

I probably won't try again which means that someone is sure to post that seeing was superb!