NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Polarscope LED Illumination

fifeskies

I am using the very handy Synscaninit app to set polar alignment.

Trouble is the LED illumination of the reticule is so bright I cannot see Polaris with the mount on , and cannot see the reticule with the mount powered off.

I switch between on and off to centre Polaris in the alignment circle.

I DO NOT have the polarscope led brightness option on my Neq6 mount.

How easy is it to put a resistor inline with the polarscope led to drop its brightness down , has anyone else done this modification.

(or is there an alternative way to illuminate the reticule with the mount powered down)

synscaninit.png

I may well be wrong, but I thought the polar scope brightness option came with later releases of the firmware, so upgrading (assuming you can) might help?

I wish I could be a bit less vague, but I rarely use a handset.

James

Yes I had thought about a red LED on a 9v battery with appropriate resistor could make a handy illuminator , just putting the LED into the polarscope exit aperture.

I could use it with my EQ5 mount as well as there is a polarscope in it and its just a manual version with no power input.

Edited by fifeskies

52 minutes ago, fifeskies said:

I think its down to motherboard version more than handset firmware version , I am on a recent release but still no option in the menu.

Ah, is yours quite an old mount then?  I bought my NEQ6 from FLO in mid-2011 and I'm sure it has a dimmable polar scope LED -- I think I had to change it when I initially set the mount up on its pier last Autumn.

James

Not sure of the age of my mount as I bought it second hand.

I think I can find the motherboard version from the handset information menu.

I will make sure I have the latest firmware just to check I don't have this option available.