Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Massive Moon - 4-pane Ha Mosaic

Stub Mandrel

My experience is that although Ha needs longer exposures, the lack of dispersion and reduced seeing effects mean it amkes sense for lunar imaging.

This is a 4-pane mosaic using the ASI1600MM, each quadrant being 80%  of 89-100 frames, preprocessed in PIPP and stacked in AS3. Processing was minimal, just a very light deconvolution in Astra Image before combination, using feathered masks for the joins in photoshop. Then another, equally light, deconvolution and a touch of curves to raise the darkest parts of the moon while pinning the sky background under 10%.

It is worth zooming in and exploring, even though a near-full moon doesn't show a huge amount of relief. Yes I know it's 'upside down' but I think that makes it less familiar and more interesting.

91057393_MassiveMoon.thumb.png.fbbf373b244c374b15667c81c6fe5077.png

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Agreed, that was worth the zoom.  Thanks for the info on the method of capture too (using Ha).

I've only got a slight twitch at it being upside down... honest 😅

I could post the right-way-up version but I don't want to waste storage SGL space!

• Haha 1