Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A good night

ollypenrice

A good night? No, very good, cos I just about saw the Horsehead for the first time in my life in the 20 inch. Meanwhie back at the camera I got lots of promising Sculptor Galaxy data (what an object!), a run of the mill M46 and this NGC 3628 from the Leo Triplet. All Meade 127 triplet.

I think the final touches of the Sculptor wil have to be next new moon, alas, cos a run of 14 clear nights may be lost to some light cloud.

At least I will have time to attend to such regular seasonal pleasures as getting a good hangover!

Olly.

post-15040-133877352313_thumb.jpg

Excellent shot there, loving the dust lane and colours: a galaxy not often presented in isolation (indeed, glancing at the image before reading your post, I thought to myself 'that looks familiar - but where from?') I think it's the most interesting of the triplet, and I often wonder why Messier didn't number it - surely he must have seen it in the FOV of 65 and 66!

Clumbs? Can a non-Kiwi have a translation?? It is indeed a strange shape with no halo and dust lanes which widen with distance from the nucleus. Any theories?

Olly.

you know what I mean Olly! :) the lumpy bits in the dust lane, pretty amazing to resolve that much detail, you've got a very good setup and some great skies to let you use it!

Some shots of it on the web show a bit of a halo but that central dust lane certainly obscures everything. The APOD picture of it mentions the strange shape may be due to interacting with other galaxies in the Leo Triplet, all very interesting! :p

Sam

Archived