NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sct cassagrain flocking is it worth it !!?

Hi guys and girls have I got to much time on my hands at the moment as I have wounded does flocking telescopes really improve the viewing experience as like some things do come across a bit gimmicky and you watch a utube channel on a subject and everyone joins the band wagon for exsample I purchased the baader planetarium 3.25ā€ to 2ā€ twist lock adapter and as a general whole is a great product and better than tensioning thumb screws with your expensive accessories etc however there are claims like the Peterson engineering eye opener for the sct cassagrain has a full 2ā€ opening and apparently has the potential for improving light transmission through the optical path up to 65% I do find thease claims maybe over estimated as a sct cassagrain has an central obstruction with mirror and surly if it was worth doing wouldnā€™t all the manufacturers be doing this on there products this is the same with the baader twist lock adapter.i do find Astronomy a little like hi-end Audio for instance some times it,s not worth paying out an additional Ā£100,s of pounds on an interconnect cable from your amp to CD player and find it differcult to hear any improved performance so has any of you on this forum have any positive and negative thoughts in flocking your scopeĀ 

kind regards to you all sean

No need to remove the primary. Get some thin acetate sheet to make a liner for the tube and then apply the flocking while the acetate sheet is laying flat on the table. Makes a much neater job and can just be slid into the tube. The acetate sheet is trimed so that when slid into the tube the edges just meet. Will hold itself in place with no need for tape, glue etc.Ā 

Hereā€™s a couple of photos fromĀ a dob IĀ recently flocked that will help explain. First with the acetate liner cut to fit then with the flocking applied andĀ slid intoĀ place.

Ā 

EA918363-F1C8-44A1-8534-FD185689D8B5.jpeg

322F314D-4201-43C8-BB53-2E0EAF21C07E.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

What thickness acetate sheet did you use? Are you saying the acetate will hold itself in shape and in place? Or am I missing something somewhere?

Also, what was the flocking material?

My paint if flaking off the SCTā€™s interior so, need some sort of remediation.

Edited by iapa
Strike through self answered question

2 hours ago, iapa said:

My paint if flaking off the SCTā€™s interior so, need some sort of remediation.

The paint started flaking on the inside of my Celestron 9.25SCT whilst it was still under guarantee. The supplier sent it to the UK Celestron agent and he said it was my fault for using chemicals to clean it!!! I hadn't, a shocking abrogation of responsibility. Very disappointing. Celestron said they had never heard of it happening before. Interesting that you have the same thing happening Iapa!

Thanks for theĀ Protostar Flockboard tip John. I'll look into it.

Regards

Graeme

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Graeme said:

Celestron said they had never heard of it happening before.

Reading a number of repeated threads on CN, and elsewhere, a number of people have reported similar to Celestron, and were also advised ā€œweā€™ve not seen that beforeā€.

Hmmmm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1