Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portable Imaging rig using just a tablet.

Hey :) 

My question is... what would be the best portable imaging and guiding setup..Control wise.

Ideally I’d like to use a tablet (Android/apple/windows) ..not fussed

Unlike ‘most’ people, I won’t have a permanent setup...my home location isn’t suitable so at weekends the plan is to go off in my van and camp out at dark sky locations under the stars

Each and every time I’ll be putting the rig together from scratch, levelling, PA, even balancing!!

AFAIK, there are 2 ways of doing it for tablet control.

ASIair and app (apple/ Android)

Pi and stellarmate os and stellarmate app?? ( not sure if get full function using app)

The ASIair pro looks an awesome bit of kit...although it’s not ‘that expensive‘ -£299...there are cheaper options...

A raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) plus Stellarmate OS is something I’ve considered...all in plus case/OS/bits is around £150.  My concern with this is the Linux/programming/code and setting it all up.

Is it just a case of once everything is installed it can be run in a similar way to the ASIair? ...and the app is able to do as much as the ASI app does?

The ASIair seems simpler by just using an app for everything..the PA feature is very appealing.

i know the ASIair only controls certain cameras , my Canon 6d is fully supported, plus I don’t own a guide cam yet so this issue with it isn’t a problem for me.

I’ve never guided or controlled my mount ( Skywatcher EQ6-pro ) with anything other than the handset before.

imaging is completely new to me

I would prefer to use a laptop but with even the best only lasting around 8hrs and then needing mains power to charge , being in the van with only 12v and USB power a tablet would last longer and be easy to recharge if I’m there a few nights.

Really confused what to do and would really appreciate any help :) 

Cheers

Ant 

I use Stellarmate OS, I use a combination of laptop and the app.

If you are using a tablet rather than a mobile phone (I just use my mobile), then Stellarmate includes a web based remote desktop like page, so you can get in to a desktop like view of the OS running and do the full set of features.

The things that I've found missing on the app v.s. the desktop is mostly 1 time configuration type items for the gear you are using. Once out in the field I can run a session from the mobile phone quite happily.

The Stellarmate will also work with a huge variety of cameras, where as the ASIAir is designed for ZWO cameras.

My rig is quite heavy and I have no where to store it complete, so I also have to tear it down and rebuild it for each session including levelling, PA and balancing.

I've yet to use the PA tool in Stellarmate (there is one), I normally do a PA using the scope in the mount and then autoguiding takes care of the rest. I intend to try it at some point, but ever time the sky is clear enough to image I do that instead :)

By adding some connectors and other voltage regulators, I've got a setup that runs off a single 12v feed and powers everything, no batteries needed, other than an 12v one for the main power (or in this case, the mains with a 12v power supply connected).

IMG_20200408_205121.thumb.jpg.07d63dc5718abbcd78ee0fd194c4988e.jpg

Edited by Endolf
  • Like 1

Or if  you want even cheaper how about astroberry on a  pi4. I use that  and it's really very capable, I can use computer, tablet or phone to view it remotely.

My system is a motorized EQ5 with AstroEQ box, but EQ6 will be easy. The main consideration will be a 12V supply with 5V output sufficient for the Pi. 

You will probably need a decent powered USB hub also, dont skimp on that.

Then its just wiring and learning :)

IMG_20200204_183650.jpg

Yup, Astroberry and Stellarmate are both built on the same software (Linux, Ekos, KStars). One is free (Astroberry), one as has a dedicated mobile app (Stellarmate). As the comms are open standards I can't see a reason why someone couldn't develop a mobile app for Astroberry at some point in the future. If you're using a tablet rather than a phone, then the web based VNC might be ok to use. I chose Stellarmate based on it having the mobile app to make life easy on myself.

The ASIAir would probably be the easiest option as long as you go for a ZWO guide camera but it has limited DSLR support. I've not used on so dont know exactly the limitations. I'm on the FB page and it gets rave reviews but its also not without its issues. There is also a long waiting list for the unit itself, even before COVID restrictions were in place there was a waiting list.

An RPi is cheaper, I've used Stellarmate and I highly recommend it but there is a learning curve. It supports a wider range of devices than the Air. Stellarmate also has it's own app so you can use it on a tablet. I've not used that as to be honest, I couldn't get it to work on my phone when I had it. Its had some updates since then I believe.

Another option, one which I currently use, is a Windows based mini PC with all the software you could possibly need. I have APT, Sharpcap for polar aligning, NINA, Pixinsight, Stellarium, Carte du Ciel etc all on a Windows 10 Pro mini PC that I picked up cheaper than an ASIAir pro. I control everything via VNC viewer on my phone.

Whatever route you choose, I would try and hone it from home first as your first few sessions wont go without problems and it may be a disappointing trip to a dark site and you find you come away empty handed. Also, unless your planning to leave the van running, I wouldn't use the 12v outlets to power your kit. A leisure battery would be much better to power everything separately.

I agree with @david_taurus83 you need to test this all out locally first, there is a learning curve!

Not sure of the advantage of the Stellarmate app, you can connect directly to Astroberry via your web browser. Why would you need an app?

And a leisure battery is a good idea, That's what I use with a case that incorporates sockets, fuses and a 5v regulator.

• Like 1

I've gone the ASIair Pro route for my travel rig which is based on a 60mm refractor that I can use at f4.2 (fl=255mm) or f10 (focal ~610mm) on an EQ mounted AZ-GTi, all controlled via my Android tablet. I've now got this running reliably in my back garden and I'm confident that this will work well at a remote site when allowed.

I'm an experienced user of MaxImDL/PHD2 for running my observatory-based dual rig set-up and was tempted to go the mini-PC route, but I'm very impressed with the performance of the ASIair Pro device. Polar alignment, plate solving and guiding (50mm finder/guider) work really well, making for a very capable, light-weight travel rig. I use a 16Ah LiFePO4 Tracer battery for the mount, ASIair, imaging camera (ASI071MC) and anti-dew bands. This will work for a full nights imaging based on use to date.

HTH and CS,

Andy