Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First 1000D pictures

I got my first Canon 1000D pictures last night and I am really happy that I got the 1000D. I can't imagine not having Live view. I took RAW pictures and because I can't use them in Registax I downloaded Deep Sky Stacker which is excellent. I found loads of very helpful info around the forum so thanks everyone. Thanks Phsychobilly for the setup advice.

18 - 5 secs ISO 800 F 4.5 no processing

11222_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Its my first proper stacked image, I have tried stacking a few pictures before in Registax using my point and shoot. I haven't tried doing much processing yet, I'm just getting used to everything.

And a 30 secs at ISO 1600 just to see how many stars the camera would pick up.

11225_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Any advice from anyone would be great

All the best

Jamie

Crikey that first shot is tremendous, absolutely spot on. You have a red streak going into the fir tree, any idea what it is? The second shot it looks like you have picked up M31 over on the left there.

When you have DSS downloaded, a quick tip to get rid of the LP is to wait for the stack to finish, always save your result first obviously. Then have a look at the bottom left, there will be a histogram and three sliders. The red curve will be way over to the right of the green and blue curve. Move the red curve using the sliders until it's over the blue and green curves (you might have to shift the blue or green curve a bit as well) and hit the Redo or whatever it is button. It will give you LP free image.

Billy - Thanks, I downloaded DSS the other day to do the Orion picture above because I couldn't use Registax to stack the RAW pictures, but thanks for the links anyway. I had a quick look at the Orion video you did which I really liked. I would have thought it would take loads of pictures to do a video like that. You have given me an idea to try do something like that in the daytime, maybe on a flower or something?

Thing - Thank you very much! I think the red streak is actually light reflecting off my neighbours ariel or something on their chimney. You can see my shed in the bottom right which I hide behind, its shadow is the darkest part of my garden. I was really surprised and happy by the amount of stars the canon picked up in the 30 sec picture, I think your right and it got M31, awesome! Thanks for the advice about Light Pollution. I was surprised how much LP there was in some of my pictures, and a bit worried. I used Auto Processing in Digital Photo Professional or one of the programs that came with the canon and it got rid of some of the LP in a picture I was messing about with, so with that and your advice I'm not too worried how much LP I get in my pictures now. I'm so happy I've finally got a camera that can pick up that many stars!

Thanks

All the best

Jamie

Hi Jamie!

These are absolutely brilliant. I too have recently tried wide field DSLR imaging and I was unaware that you could take multiple short exposures and stack them - am I correct in thinking that your brilliant image of Orion was made by stacking 18 5 second exposures? Is this hard to do with deep sky stacker?

Thanks for your help, and again congratulations on your images - I would be thrilled to produce something of a similar quality!

Remy :)

Thanks a lot Remy!!! You sound like you are at the same stage as me! Yes I stacked 18 5 second exposures in Deep Sky Stacker which literally did everything for me! Download DSS using the link from Psychobilly. The type of file on the camera I was using when taking the pictures was RAW which, I think, means the image isn't effected from the cameras settings. When I was putting these in DSS I opened up my pictures while DSS was open and dragged them over into DSS. I think I then just pressed stack checked pictures and DSS stacked them for me and the result was the picture I put on here. I didn't do anything else and I am really chuffed with the picture.

Hope this helps mate

All the best

Jamie

Thanks a lot Remy!!! You sound like you are at the same stage as me! Yes I stacked 18 5 second exposures in Deep Sky Stacker which literally did everything for me! Download DSS using the link from Psychobilly. The type of file on the camera I was using when taking the pictures was RAW which, I think, means the image isn't effected from the cameras settings. When I was putting these in DSS I opened up my pictures while DSS was open and dragged them over into DSS. I think I then just pressed stack checked pictures and DSS stacked them for me and the result was the picture I put on here. I didn't do anything else and I am really chuffed with the picture.

Thanks a lot Jamie!

I am sure going to give this a try - I have tried on several occasions to simply hold down the shutter release for up to 5 minutes (very painful in the cold) and I didn't really have much success - there was either too much orange skyglow or no stars visible. In fact the best image which I took was two days ago:

3138407179_1ccc1e9728.jpg

90 secs f/9 ISO 800

I really cannot wait to try out stacking much shorter exposures - thanks again for the inspiration

Sam - Cheers mate!! Check out some of Psychobillys pictures with the Canon 1000D. :)

Nice one Remy. The thing gave me some good Light Pollution advice higher up on this page which might help you sort out some of your pictures. I am mad about severe storms, Lightning and Tornadoes but wish the clouds would go away at night time! Looking forward to seeing some of your pictures!

All the best

Jamie

Oooooh This is so exciting!

Thanks for that - I sure will try the things advice! :p

Just ANOTHER quick question - when you added your pictures of Orion, did you add them as 'Light' files - all this dark and flats is confusing me :oops: !

Hi Wedge - Sorry for diving in on a question to IAHB (Jamie)

Light frames or files - are the "normal" exposures taken through with the camera

Dark Frames or files are taken at the same exposure settings (ISO and Time) as the light files but with the end of the lens and the viewfinder covered. They are used to compensate for Hot and Cold pixels and Ampglow etc

Bias Frames of Files are taken at the same ISO setting but at the fastest possible shutter speed with the lens and view finder covered... they are used to reduce the readout noise of the camera which is usually seen as vertical or horizontal lines on the images

These three types of files are the first ones that you need to use to get better quality images out of DSS....

When using the camera for astrophotography you would normally turn of all the in camera noise reduction processing - "Long exposure NR and HIGH ISO IR) as the camera will carry out these operations on every frame you take - the Long Exp NR effectively takes a 2nd exposure straight after the light frame without opening the shutter... OK for short exposures but a PITA for long ones ...

All astro work should be shot in RAW mode - this way your getting files that are closest to what the camera sensor as actually captured.

Flats are covered by Georges primer as they require additional "equipment" to take effectively...flats are used to reduce the effects of dust in the image train and also uneven sensor illumination (vignetting)

Billy...

but with the end of the lens and the viewfinder covered.

Woah - what a lot to take in :)

When I 'cover' the lens, should I simply put the lens cap on to take the exposure - sorry if I am being ignorant :?

Thanks for the advice, and sorry to Jamie for using this thread to ask questions! :oops:

Remy :thumbright:

:) This is totally unacceptable! Using my thread to do as you please! How dare you! Just joking!!!!!!

I'm glad you are here to help billy! Feel free to steal! my threads anytime! Same goes to you Remy, looking forward to seeing some of your pictures mate.

All the best

Jamie

Archived