M101 LRGB using SW Quattro 8

SamAndrew

Here is the first of the datasets captured during the great run of clear nights we had in the UK during March.

Feel like things are starting to come together, and my processing skills are getting better. The noise suppression in Pixinsight seems to have handled my lack of colour data reasonably well.

Quattro 8s, ASI 1600, EQ6-R, guided using ASI 120mm through the ZWO OAG.

Lum 96 x 5mins at gain 0 totalling 8 hours - weighted and drizzled in Pixinsight (~0.49" / pp)

RGB 9 x 5mins at gain 0, totalling 45mins per channel stacked in DSS.

Edit: just to add this was taken in Berkshire about 5 miles east of Reading ~ Bortle 5 skies

Comments & critique welcome :) - I have some odd diffraction patterns around the stars caused by my secondary mirror heater sticking into the light path - currently tailor making a new one. Wasn't sure if I should resample it back to the original resolution which looks cleaner, but I find myself zooming in naturally to this resolution. Will probably look at the colour balance and saturation again later once I've had a break.

Thanks for looking

Sam

M101 LRGB v3 crop.jpg

Edited by SamAndrew
  • Like 15

Great result, a fantastic FOV, encompasses the outer regions but close enough to capture the dust lane detail nearer the centre. 

I think it would benefit from a bit more colour, but it’s a very impressive M101.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 5haan_A said:

Looks great. Lots of lovely detail in there.

How are you finding using pixinsight? 

Thanks; I'm more and more impressed the more I learn the different processes - been using it for about a year but only just started using Multiscale Linear Transform for noise reduction and sharpening - works wonders!

• Like 1