Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope head for Manfrotto tripod

Hi,

I’ve searched and found a few old posts on this subject but was hoping there was something newer available. 

I have a Manfrotto 055 tripod which is quite sturdy,(9kg rated) it presently has a 3 way head fitted. 

After breaking my basic Star Watcher Sky Travel 102 tripod I was hoping to get a head for the Manfrotto that could hold the Sky Travel.  The Sky Travel also has non quick release/shoe type rings and clamp so I may need something that side too. 

This seems more sensible than buying a new tripod.

Does anyone know whats available? 

Thanks 

Something like the AZ5 head would be ideal and has a 3/8 standard photo tripod thread on the bottom.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

The same OTA is available with the AZ5 mount.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe/sky-watcher-startravel-102-az5-deluxe.html

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

Hi John, 

Thanks for the quick reply, thats interesting and simpler than I expected and the mount you linked looks like a decent option.  Thinking though if I just need to look for an 3/8 fitting, that may open up some tracking options for milky way photography when not using  the telescope. 

I shall get googling!! 

Thanks again👍🏻

Do you know which mount have you broken? I think some of the cheaper sets (eq 1/2, az3) might not come with a proper Vixen dovetail so you might need one of those too.

For basic alt/az goto/tracking look at the Skywatcher AZ GTi, there is now an eq mode firmware upgrade, but I don't know how good that is compared to buying a Star Adventurer specifically for your camera.

• Thanks 1

You're correct my scope doesn't have a dovetail mount. Its two rings and a plate that bolts to the broken tripod. This is annoying and something I’ve been meaning to change anyway. 

When this scope is sold with a better tripod it seems(going by the pictures) to have a mount fixed directly onto the tube. 

Not sure if I can do the same ( I’m ok with bit of drilling etc) or of its best to get rings and a dovetail mount.  

Edited by Wilburt

On 04/04/2020 at 11:11, Wilburt said:

When this scope is sold with a better tripod it seems(going by the pictures) to have a mount fixed directly onto the tube. 

The best solution is when it has rings and a proper dovetail. As you have rings already you just need a decent dovetail and a mount head. 

You could use a heavy-duty ball-head. My ball-head, (note: this it is not an Arca-Swiss type), on a Manfrotto 055PROB, takes a Vixen type dovetail bar... just!

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

The dovetail bar, (not the girder shape one; as that is the balance bar), that my TV Ranger is on in the image, is the Vixen/TeleVue AVT-1011.

I have used it too with my 're-modded' Meade ETX105 with some success...

IMG_0385.JPG.be266edabdc1643b157109902b1559e2.JPG

The Jubilee/hose rings are holding the Vixen dovetail bar to the OTA.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the tips, this is what I ended up doing. 

Manfrotto 055 tripod

Amazon 60mm base ball head

12cm Arca swiss plate

It will serve my requirements nicely and also has the benefit of being able to share tripod and plates with a camera. 

7E703350-1BA8-4213-BB20-7BC036ED3DFF.jpeg

A8E86692-9BE4-4FB7-9355-430C88ABEE87.jpeg

3294329F-87DD-4268-900B-319FBEABF125.jpeg

4D26505B-44CC-4D68-89F3-BADF1EF258C0.jpeg

82B036A8-A087-4855-83D4-FDB72302BFBE.jpeg

• Like 1

I would extend the legs quite a bit more to provide more guard-band stability against accidental tipping in the dark, especially if you're going to use it on a hard surface as shown rather than on grass.