Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion - naked eye

mark81

I often like to sit back and take in the stars on very clear nights and with Orion on its way down for the season I took the opportunity to take a little sketch. 

It's often surprising what you can see when you really take your time and allow your eyes to fully adjust.  I didn't sketch in every star I could see as many appeared with averted vision but I was treated to some faint wisps of the milky way and could resolve a few stars in NGC 1981. Orions nebula wasn't as clear as it been recently but still nice to see.

Black card, white gel, white pencil and a red light.

Mark

15853985396181766113240.jpg

Edited by mark81
New photo
  • Like 7

6 minutes ago, domstar said:

That's excellent. Sketching is definitely on my to do list. Just can't seem to make that first step. This picture brings me that much closer to giving it a try.

Sometimes when I do a sketch, I look at it and wonder 'what was I thinking?' but more often than not they turn out OK....

Definitely give it a go, it's great fun (and does improve your observing skills )

Mark