Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Electric filter Wheel.

ribuck

Hi All,

I'm thinking about upgrading my Atik Manual filter wheel to an electric one so i can control it remotely. When using the filter wheel, is it possible to get a filter or some plastic cover for one of the filter wheel slots so you can use it when imaging to do dark frames.

Rich.

Cut yourself a disc of black felt, and stick it over the aperture with fast tack adhesive.

A milliners shop will sell you a small piece of smooth black felt. They may even give you a piece free when you tell them what you need it for. :(

Don't bank on it though. :mrgreen:

Ron.

You could try a motor factors for a large blanking grommet. Or a breakers yard where there are scrap cars lying around. Most of them have blanking grommets in the bulkheads, where drillings have been made for cable harnesses to pass through, but were not used, and therefore blanks were inserted. Or you could find a 1.25" filter that is going spare, and matt black the glass.

An old moon filter for example.

Ron.

The felt is a good idea, just not sure how i would stick it to the filter wheel. Astronomik do actually make a special blank filter for darks but they want $25 and there is no way i'm paying that, so i'm just going to order a cheap filter and paint it with some thick black nail varnish. That should do the trick.

Archived