Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Focusing issues on Skywatcher p150

Well I've been having issues with my telescope.  I was looking at venus and I see like faint copies of Venus next to each other with actual Venus at the center.  I'm sure my scope.was collimated to. The mirror doesn't look quite good either, very dusty and a couple of smears somehow. So might just need a clean.

21 minutes ago, tjs247 said:

Well I've been having issues with my telescope.  I was looking at venus and I see like faint copies of Venus next to each other with actual Venus at the center.  I'm sure my scope.was collimated to. The mirror doesn't look quite good either, very dusty and a couple of smears somehow. So might just need a clean.

Have you tried other eyepieces to see if the ghosting changes or goes away?

7 hours ago, tjs247 said:

I'll try different eye pieces tonight. It's in the middle of the day so best I could do is a rough diagram. 

IMG_20200326_133511~2.jpg

Interesting that the ghosts coincide with one of the secondary spider vanes' diffraction spikes' axes.  Perhaps the eyepiece is somehow picking up the bright diffraction spike and imaging it.  Try rotating your eye and eyepiece each relative to the focuser to see if anything changes.  Ideally, I'd say rotate the OTA and see if the ghosts follow it, but that would be difficult without rotating rings.  You could put an edge-on ruler across the front of the scope at a different angle from the vanes to see if that introduces a new diffraction spike and more ghosting.