Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 250px Planetary setup problems

Hi I recently purchased a skywatcher 250pxfor my wife’s birthday. I ordered a laser Collimator we think we have set it up right. We took it outside tonight and can’t get no focus really can see the stars clearer with the naked eye any help much appreciated

Which eyepiece are you using in the focuser?

I'd start with the weakest first....probably a 25mm or something larger than 15mm at least.

For that Crayford focuser, things should start being close to focused with the focus tube cranked out (toward your eye) about 3/4" from fully in with the stock Plossl 25mm eyepiece that usually comes with that scope.

Edited by JonCarleton

Make sure you are using just the 2" to 1.25" adapter in the focuser and not using both the 2" and the 1.25" at the same time.

Have a look at the above thread link hope this might clarify things and put you on track

Andy

As Fozzy says, check the adaptors in the focuser. It seems a common problem in that the 2" adaptor is left in position and so the usual 1.25" adaptor sits at the wrong place and focus is impossible.

Would seem to be an arrangement that commonly causes people a problem. So seems to be in the arrangement adopted by Skywatcher.

Stars though a scope still look like points of light - you just see more of them.

Venus is the only planet that is easily visible right now - can't miss it in the west early evening.

Use the lowest power eyepiece (25mm ?) while you practice using the scope and finding things.

• Like 1

Tony

First question, did you try and do a collimation and why

The scope should had been set correctly when took delivery

Is it solid tube or flex tube

Attached pic is my flex tube taken at a recently public viewing night with my club

As mention, use the 1.25" adapter

Under the tuning knob, is also a locking screw, always leave my loosened slightly to allow the focuser to move in and out

The scope comes with 2 eyepieces

25mm and 10mm

Which eyepiece have you tried

Start with the 25mm, I very rarely use the 10mm, and have 15mm and 17mm which use when doing presentations in primary schools and scout groups

Finderscope, you have right angle or straight through

I use right angle, as do not have to lay on the ground, when viewing objects overhead 

With finderscope, there is also two adjusting screws which are used to align the finderscope with the eyepiece

Best to do this in daylight, and pick out an object several kilometers away, such as mobile tower, church spire, even a tree on a hill

Aim finderscope to object you going to use

Then view through the 25mm eyepiece and adjust mount so viewing same object through the eyepiece

Then go back to finderscope, and adjust the two screws, so the same object is located center of cross hairs of finderscope

I also use a laser pointer at night to locate object I want view, by laying the laser pointer along the mount of the tuner mount, then find tune through the finderscope

Where I am, have to be a financial member of an astronomy club to use laser pointer for public presentations under the Fire Arms and Offensive Weapons Act

If you still not have resolve your issues, rock up to your local astronomy club, members there only too happy to assist you

Where I am, currently not able to hold club meets due to coronavirus,  think you guys are in lock-down, same as we are

John

Skywatcher 10in Dob.jpg