Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Unknown object

Hi everyone - I’m a casual stargazer at best. I only bring the scope out to look at obvious things when there’s a good view (the moon, Jupiter, etc)

Well I noted a super bright star in the western sky this evening and figured it was Jupiter so I got the scope out.

When I got it in focus I had trouble identifying it because I couldn’t spot the four Galileans, but what I did see was something which I could only bring into focus by taking the planet out of focus - I figure it’s a lot closer to us than the planet. I took a wobbly picture of it with my phone to the eyepiece. Long shot, but can anyone tell me what it is? 

B705550E-0BCC-4BB7-97A0-176CD69F2419.jpeg

• Like 1

Hi @Space_Cadet and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Definitely Venus, (with 'lens flare'). Yesterday, (24th March), Venus was at greatest elongation, as viewed from Earth. 

Mars, Jupiter & Saturn are currently in the morning skies. Today, (25th March), is New Moon.

Enjoy.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Space_Cadet said:

Hi everyone - I’m a casual stargazer at best. I only bring the scope out to look at obvious things when there’s a good view (the moon, Jupiter, etc)

Well I noted a super bright star in the western sky this evening and figured it was Jupiter so I got the scope out.

When I got it in focus I had trouble identifying it because I couldn’t spot the four Galileans, but what I did see was something which I could only bring into focus by taking the planet out of focus - I figure it’s a lot closer to us than the planet. I took a wobbly picture of it with my phone to the eyepiece. Long shot, but can anyone tell me what it is? 

Was the object below and to the right a physical object? Because Venus has no moon.

Edited by AJD_OFFICIAL
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AJD_OFFICIAL said:

Was the object below and to the right a physical object? Because Venus has no moon.

it might have been a spec of dust flaring on the camera

• Like 1