Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spacing, or tilt issue?

I've been noticing some weird looking stars, all around the edges and corners of my last two images.
I tried to figure out what it could be, but spacing shouldn't be the issue with this, as I see tons of people using pretty much same setup, just different DSLR cam.
Also I tried the same setup with a Nikon D5300 with no issues at all.

My setup is:
SW Evostar 80ED
0.85x SW Reducer/Field Flattener
First Light Optics Nosepiece
Nikon D5600a
SW Heq5 Pro mount

Please zoom in on the image to really see the star shapes.

M81_Tilt.jpg

I felt the stack had very slight elongation TL to BR on the whole frame. 

The single sub, maybe BL? 

Too close to call. 

I'd examine all your subs and make a judgement, could be tilt, Coma,  good guiding isn't perfect.

Sorry, no help at all really. 

Michael 

But coma with a reducer/field flattener dosen't make sense? :)

All my subs are like this, stars are fine in a "circle" around the middle, but everything outside this "circle" and the stars are looking like this.
When I did some flats awhile ago, which are now deleted, as I deemed them unusable, they clearly showed a circle in the middle of the image, which makes sense with the stars in the light subs.

Edited by Matzi

Hi

The flattener needs to be closer to the sensor. Make sure there is nothing preventing mating surfaces meet, there are no spacers fitted and no crossed threads. This should also cure the slight tilt. Usually simply dismantling, cleaning and reassembling fixes stuff like this.

If not, try another t ring. Make sure it's on the 9mm side of 10 and that the threaded section is held firmly and squarely to the bayonet ring.

HTH

Edited by alacant

10 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

The flattener needs to be closer to the sensor. Make sure there is nothing preventing mating surfaces meet, there are no spacers fitted and no crossed threads. This should also cure the slight tilt. Usually simply dismantling, cleaning and reassembling fixes stuff like this.

If not, try another t ring. Make sure it's on the 9mm side of 10.

HTH

I heard that this telescope, reducer fitted with a DSLR dosen't need any spacing, as it fits directly, even FLO said this to me. Again I used a Nikon D5300 with this exact setup with no issues.

12 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

You could download a 30-day trial version of CCDInspector and run your subs through that and see what it tells you.

Actually I'm on it right now to see. :)

OK. You missed focus a bit, so any aberration will be magnified as you move from the centre. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. Nail the focus and it will look better.

Good luck anyway and stay safe.

Edited by alacant

25 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

You could download a 30-day trial version of CCDInspector and run your subs through that and see what it tells you.

I couldn't find the trial version, I downloaded it, installed it. And it let me use it once. Then it couldn't open cause it said I need to buy a license..

1 minute ago, alacant said:

OK. You missed focus a bit, so any aberration will be magnified as you move from the centre. Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.

Good luck anyway and stay safe.

If it's only a focus problem, I'm relieved, but wouldn't focus affect ALL stars, including those in the middle?

4 minutes ago, Matzi said:

I couldn't find the trial version, I downloaded it, installed it. And it let me use it once. Then it couldn't open cause it said I need to buy a license..

Weird. I downloaded it last week and I'm now part way through my trial period - I've got 20 days to go still. Not sure then as the site says you get 30 days.

Edited by Adreneline

4 minutes ago, Matzi said:

wouldn't focus affect ALL stars

Hi

Yes, it has. If you were in focus the central stars would be smaller and the edge aberration reduced, probably to the point of being acceptable.

Cheers

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

Yes, it has. If you were in focus the central stars would be smaller and the edge aberration reduced, probably to the point of being acceptable.

Cheers

I was in perfect focus before I started, but maybe focus shifted. I imaged another target for 40 mins before this one. So slewing, cables hitting the focus knobs during slewing, slight temperature change might have changed iy.

20 minutes ago, Matzi said:

I was in perfect focus

Hi. Lack of blue chromatic aberration suggests you focused on the blue, making all the stars bigger.

HTH

EDIT: look at the fwhm values. I can't remember what we got with ours, but this would suggest poor focus. Maybe a current ed user can confirm?

Edited by alacant

2 minutes ago, Matzi said:

I used a Bahtinov mask

IIRC, the mask will give you the dominant colour. If blue is in focus, red and green are out and vica versa. Do I notice green star halos? (I'm certainly not the one to ask about colour!)

I remember looking at a bright star and re-focusing until the blue fringe JUST disappeared; no mask.

Well I never really had any previous problems with focusing using a Bahtoniv mask.

But being all new to that CCDinspect software, I did get this result from using all 23 images combined.

Combined results.jpg