Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In the garden 23/03/20

Merak

Hi all.
        For the second night running I was able to get the scope out for an observing session.    Tonight I was concentrating on open clusters in Auriga and Cassiopeia, having planned a couple of dozen objects to observe with Stellarium earlier in the day.      Before I went looking at the open clusters, I had a look at a few other objects - a couple of globs, comet Y4 Atlas and a few galaxies .  As in the previous night transparency wasn't too great so didn't spend too much time on them.

As is popular with some objects, some of them have been named, such as NGC1502 - the Jolly Roger Cluster.  With that cluster it's easy to imagine two crossed cutlasses.
Then there's M38 which has been called the Starfish.  I can sort of see a starfish, albeit with 4 points.

Others, I'm not so sure about, such as NGC663 - 'The Lawnmower Cluster'   Perhaps I was looking at the wrong angle but I couldn't make out an obvious shape similar to some sort of Lawnmower this time.   One to look at again.

Didn't stay out too late as I was getting tired so had a reasonably early night.     Apparently it will be clear again tonight and if it is then the scope will be out again - may as well make the most of it!       Judging by the present high altitude hazy cloud, transparency might be so-so again... We'll see eh?

Mark

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice session Mark. I always look around Cassiopeia and Auriga, you never get bored...

I'm taking as much of Orion and Monoceros as I can at the moment. Very nicely placed and not around for much longer....

Mark

46 minutes ago, Ciaran Meier said:

Hi Mark,

Yep, some weird names out there. I recently discovered the "Klingon Battle Cruiser " asterism NGC 1662 in Orion.  

Enjoyed reading your report. 

Ciaran. 

I'll have a look out for more weird n wonderful named things and see if they actually resemble them!

24 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Nice session Mark. I always look around Cassiopeia and Auriga, you never get bored...

I'm taking as much of Orion and Monoceros as I can at the moment. Very nicely placed and not around for much longer....

Mark

Hi Mark, Unfortunately they're both not that well placed for me  as I have a north facing garden and light pollution to the south of me.   Did show the kids the Orion Neb and Venus and they were impressed.

Another one if anyone decides to look tonight - NGC2169, the shopping cart cluster in Orion.   It does actually resemble the outline of a shopping trolley as well!     

Did look at NGC457 a couple of nights ago and if I remember rightly, there's a pair of brighter stars at both ends of the cluster.

Will try for 2301 tonight if it's clear.

• Like 1