NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SW 120ED and binoviewers

Hi.,

I am thinking of buying the new Baader MaxBright II when it goes on the market (if it does). I was wondering if someone who has  the SW 120ED can tell me what elements are neccesary to be able to focus.

Thank you.

With the Baader 1.25" T2 prism diagonal, I think I use a Baader 1.7x GPC to reach focus.

I tried binoviewing with a 2" diagonal fitted at the weekend and couldn't reach focus, even with my 2x VIP Barlow in all configurations.

I'm sure someone else will be along with more info soon.

Download the manual from https://www.baader-planetarium.com/en/accessories/optical-accessories/bino-viewer/baader-maxbright-2-binoviewer-with-case.html

Page 21 has a table that gives the required amount of back focus for different variations of diagonal and gpc when used with the binoviewer. Compare these to the amount of available back focus that your telescope has with any specific eyepiece that you might wish to use in the binoviewer. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I used an Equinox 120ED for many years with a revelation binoviewer, 2" low profile mirror diagonal, and 2X SW Delux barlow. I had no focusing issues. A terrific combination! Although the image below doesn't show the binoviewer, it does show the low profile diagonal, where the 2" to 1.25" adapter sits low inside the 2" diagonal. May be this would give ant extra inward focus needed?

1332692842_2018-01-0523_31_53.thumb.jpg.4dd406143b2ae522bfa4563289147445.jpg

Another thing that can allow more inward focus is this genius adapter from Skywatcher, also available under other brand names. It sits flush with the surface of the 2" diagonal and holds the eyepiece or binoviewer solidly in any position. 

725182941_2021-03-2009_46_33.thumb.jpg.6bd1f8e6a65ebaf4b77b03002488ec59.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight