NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Travel/imaging scope to go with AVX

I currently have an 8" EdgeHD, and would like to supplement this with a smaller scope that will work as a travel scope as well as for wide field imaging. I had been looking at the Explore Scientific 80mm ED APO Essentials ES ED80 or the Williams Optics 73mm Zenith (WO Zenithstar) but having done some research it seems there can be some issues with the ES80 with flex with the footing for the mount. I now thinking the ZS73 while great for imaging may be a bit too wide for visual. the Skywatcher 80ED ( SW 80ED ) seems to be a well regarded alternative. For imaging I will initially be using a Canon 7d II but will probably buy dedicated camera towards the end of the year.  Is there any other equipment I should consider.

Thanks.

What's your budget and size requirements for transport?  Does it need to fit in carry-on luggage?  The Astro-Tech AT92 f/5.5 Triplet APO would probably meet your needs for compactness, rigidity, aperture, and image quality, but at a price.  I couldn't afford it, so I picked up a used TS-Optics Photoline 90mm f/6.6 FPL53 Triplet APO.  It's case is probably just a bit too big for carry-on, so it would have to go in a different case.  It's been a fantastic scope visually.  I can't speak to its photographic potential since I'm visual-only.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

What's your budget and size requirements for transport?  Does it need to fit in carry-on luggage?  The Astro-Tech AT92 f/5.5 Triplet APO would probably meet your needs for compactness, rigidity, aperture, and image quality, but at a price.  I couldn't afford it, so I picked up a used TS-Optics Photoline 90mm f/6.6 FPL53 Triplet APO.  It's case is probably just a bit too big for carry-on, so it would have to go in a different case.  It's been a fantastic scope visually.  I can't speak to its photographic potential since I'm visual-only.

This would only be for in the UK, so something I can fit in the car along with luggage - this makes the 8" EdgeHd too bulky. Something the size of  the Skywatcher ED80 with it's carry case would be ok, and budget wise £500-600 mark would be ideal. The AT92 would be well out of budget!

20 hours ago, RayD said:

TS 80 Photoline is a nice little imaging scope.  This is what I use on my travel set up and it works great.

Is that really the same as this one from Altair? Starwave 80ED  I have been looking at so many scopes in this range that you start to see similarities - they just look like re-badged versions of the same scope. Would there be any reason to choose one over the other apart from price?

27 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Is that really the same as this one from Altair? Starwave 80ED  I have been looking at so many scopes in this range that you start to see similarities - they just look like re-badged versions of the same scope. Would there be any reason to choose one over the other apart from price?

The two likely manufacturers are Kunming (United Optics) and SharpStar.  Kunming tends to be the larger, higher volume producer of the two while SharpStar is smaller and tends to concentrate on higher end scopes.  Both produce very good scopes, but SharpStar tends to get the nod for being slightly better and more consistent.  Pay close attention to the mount rings and the focuser to distinguish the two.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The two likely manufacturers are Kunming (United Optics) and SharpStar.  Kunming tends to be the larger, higher volume producer of the two while SharpStar is smaller and tends to concentrate on higher end scopes.  Both produce very good scopes, but SharpStar tends to get the nod for being slightly better and more consistent.  Pay close attention to the mount rings and the focuser to distinguish the two.

Do you think I would be better with a rack and pinion focuser over a Crayford focuser give nthe weight of my camera (about 1kg)

51 minutes ago, Shimrod said:

Do you think I would be better with a rack and pinion focuser over a Crayford focuser give the weight of my camera (about 1kg)

Yes.  The rackless focuser on my AT72ED slips at high angles with a 2" diagonal and 2 pound eyepiece despite tightening up everything.  It's not reliable at 2+ pounds (1kg).

The R&P focuser on my TS-Optics 90mm APO doesn't slip at high angles if I tighten the two tensioners (one on the actual tube and one on the pinion axle).  However, they need to take a page from Manfrotto's 475B center column and redesign the R&P so it can't unravel under load even without anything locked down.  I'm guessing there's a worm gear or something similar in there perpendicular to the actual pinion axle.  You can put 40 pounds on that center column, and it won't slip downward unlocked.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

Have you looked at the bresser yet?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102s-600-refractor-ota.html

I have a copy version of this OTA and it's a belter for wide field views. You will get CA on brighter DSO's but I didn't buy it for that reason hence why I love it.

Oh and its well under budget and not too bulky

Edited by bomberbaz

On 23/03/2020 at 18:58, bomberbaz said:

Have you looked at the bresser yet?

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/bresser-telescopes/bresser-messier-ar-102s-600-refractor-ota.html

I have a copy version of this OTA and it's a belter for wide field views. You will get CA on brighter DSO's but I didn't buy it for that reason hence why I love it.

Oh and its well under budget and not too bulky

Looks interesting, but I've actually been thinking of pushing the budget up a bit - any comments on the  Esprit 80 ? I've read a bit about balance issues but can't find many reviews. While I am after a scope for travel so would like something useful for visual, when I am at home it would be mostly used for imaging.

On 23/03/2020 at 15:07, Louis D said:

Yes.  The rackless focuser on my AT72ED slips at high angles with a 2" diagonal and 2 pound eyepiece despite tightening up everything.  It's not reliable at 2+ pounds (1kg).

The R&P focuser on my TS-Optics 90mm APO doesn't slip at high angles if I tighten the two tensioners (one on the actual tube and one on the pinion axle).  However, they need to take a page from Manfrotto's 475B center column and redesign the R&P so it can't unravel under load even without anything locked down.  I'm guessing there's a worm gear or something similar in there perpendicular to the actual pinion axle.  You can put 40 pounds on that center column, and it won't slip downward unlocked.

So I made a decision and the new scope arrives on Monday. I went for the Skywatcher ED80 DS PRo in the end, but I've bought a Baader Steeltrack Diamond RT to upgrade the focuser. I decided that some of the other telescopes were just a little too wide for me - the ED80 gives me a good compromise on portability and use for visual and photography.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shimrod said:

So I made a decision and the new scope arrives on Monday. I went for the Skywatcher ED80 DS PRo in the end, but I've bought a Baader Steeltrack Diamond RT to upgrade the focuser. I decided that some of the other telescopes were just a little too wide for me - the ED80 gives me a good compromise on portability and use for visual and photography.

Looks good.  I've found the 600mm FL on my TS-Optics Photoline 90mm f/6.6 FPL53 Triplet APO to be a nice sweet spot between my 400mm class refractors and my 1200mm Dob.