Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Now solved (sort of) - Helios Quantum 5.1 eye cups filters etc??

Hi all, a bit more detail and measurements/photos on the Q5s following my recent post regarding (my) general confusion on EPs and filters. 

Just getting the Quantum 5.1s (older version apparently) in shape, fine cleaning objective lenses, threads etc with a rocket blower and lens cloth etc, measuring EPs, etc and taking measurements. 

My first problem is a missing eyecup, not a huge deal in life, but a little complicated. The factory EPs have an odd retaining ring that slides over the rubber and locks it in place. Er, it sort of works. Needing an eyecup for one of the 40x occulars, imagine this will take a bit of searching and perhaps even phone calls (remember those?!).

In the photos below, the inner rubber lip that attaches to the EP is 28mm, going over a 30mm flange that sits 2.5mm high from the EP body.

In lieu of that, I might be able to find some aftermarket replacement eye cups, but all the replica ones online are just quoted for specific bins, usually collectable Zeiss models, etc

The second bigger problem for me, and I wasn't aware the older Q5s were like this - the bins just plain don't accept 1.25" eyepieces although they are 1.25"dia tubes, they will only reach focus with the shorties included, and worse of all, they don't take filters unless I'm missing something! How can an observation binocular of this grade not take filters?? That's pretty much a deal breaker for me, so once I get the eyecup sorted, they might be going back online although I hate to sell them already. They are in excellent condition overall and seem perfectly collimated, so I really want to find a solution. 

There are big lock rings for the EP holders, I'd imagine the newer Q5.2s holders would fit right in, but highly, highly doubt OVL would sell me those or it would be cost effective...

Really scratching my head here. Ideas where to source/solve any of this? I though about the 2x barlow on each 1.25 lens to reach focus, but decided that's not what I'm looking for I guess.

Hmmm...

Q5EP.jpg

Q5EP1.jpg

IMG_20200306_115315834~2.jpg

IMG_20200306_115434108.jpg

IMG_20200306_120230622_2.jpg

Edited by Ships and Stars

@Ships and Stars I've just read this update and I'm really disappointed for you. Do you have any idea how old these bins are? I know that my friends old Apogee 20/32/40 x 88 bins have non standard eyepieces that also don't take filters, but they are from the early 2000's, so maybe no one was making them that way back then. As you have one eye cup and retaining ring, could that be used as a template for 3D printing perhaps? That's not going to solve the inability to use filters though.... Just a thought, but could an adapter be made that uses the thread for the eye cup holder to take the filters in front of the eyepieces, between the eyepiece and the eye cup holder? I hope that you can find a solution.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ships and Stars said:

I was just thinking the same! 3D print a clamping filter holder that fits the flange for the eyecup, then have a more standard flange on the outside that takes the winged Baader eyecups... ? I need a 3D printer! Haha.

There's a few folks on here that have them, maybe someone can do it for you....? 🤞

• Like 1

I'll try a draw up a design that works and ask around. Happy to pay for some of those babies! In lieu of that, I'm tempted to just neatly lay a fine bead of JB Weld around a threaded filter socket directly to the metal on top of the EPs for what I paid for these bins. Might work, might not! Oh dear... I'll see about 3D printing I think! Cheers Geof! 

I'd just tape some cheap filters on and get on with my life, but that's too easy!🤣

(edit - I never answered your original question - yes I assume these are probably around 10-15 years old, but are pretty clean if they are? I should also be on the lookout for any Apogee spares, they might share some of the same parts) 

• Like 1

Okay, so after talking to FLO, it's pretty much a matter of like it or lump it. Or improve it.

Considering what I have invested in these binoculars and what it would cost to upgrade, I decided to a.) live with the two pairs of 20x/40x eyepieces I have and forget using 1.25" EPs and most importantly, b.) just bought a four-piece set of cheap 1.25" colour filters for £10 that have internal threads (i.e. stackable).

I'll carefully grind down the external threaded portion, then remove the actual filters so I'm left with an empty holder, then JB Weld those neatly onto the flat metal tops of all four EPs with a nice tiny, clean bead around the bases externally (minding the optics of course), give it a little tidy with a dremel once dry, clean away any dust with compressed air, and voila, the party goes on...with filters at last.

If I remove the coloured planetary filters without breaking them, then I'll give those away if anyone's interested. Think the set I bought might actually be decent quality (?) but unused, so perhaps a shame to completely wreck them if someone needs a replacement glass. 

Anyway, think I'm on track, If I had a 3D printer I'd come up with something more elegant, but to be honest I couldn't even use Google Sketch to draw up something for a 3D printer to work from, just never got the hang of 3D drafting.

👍 

PS - tried 2x barlow noses on the bottom of a pair of 32mm plossls this afternoon - still not enough inward travel to reach focus in case anyone was wondering...

Filter threads.jpg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, geoflewis said:

Sounds like a great plan - necessity being the mother of invention, et al..... 👍

Admittedly the 3D printer idea is better, but no good at drafting CAD plans etc. Something for the future. With the JB Weld I think I can have them working with filters pretty quickly and will look ok if I mask off everything first and do a really tidy job.

We'll see!! 

• Like 1

I am thinking of making push fit holders to take the raw glass filter substrates and hold them close to a range of normal binoculars eye lenses, (where 2” filters can’t cover the objectives).

i have tweaked some of these (

) and need to see how they come out with (allegedly) the most flexible filament I can print with. I have solid printed ones on my 2x54 diy bins and they do a good job. I want to add similar ones to a number of other bins and the ep I use with my APM astro bins. Flexible should allow them to stretch fit rather than my putting a slit in the ring to snap them on. Hoping to make some that rotate round so using them on IF bins is not too annoying. Drop me some “envelope sketches” and I can knock up some simple rings and things (make sure you get accurate measurements).

Annoying not taking standard ep though.

peter