NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Eyepieces For A Takahashi FS60CB.....

Sky Daddy

Good Evening Fellow StarGazers, My Little Frac Arrives Tomorrow, Any Advice On What Eyepieces To Purchase, As Of Right Now My EP Line Up Is As Follows.....

ES 82° 4.7mm

Televue Plossl 15mm

ES 68° 16mm

Celestron 50° 20mm

Baader Planetarium Hyperion 68° 24mm

Televue ×2 Barlow

I'm Thinking TV Delos Or Pentax XW, Looking To Buy 2 EP's, My Budget For The 2 Is $700.....

Any Advice Will Be Greatly Appreciated.....

What do expect to observe with this scope?  60mm isn't a lot of aperture to work with.  Since it doesn't have a 2" focuser, we can rule out all 2" eyepieces for breathtaking widest field viewing, which happens to be my favorite activity with my AT72ED.

For a 2mm exit pupil, which is considered the ideal observing exit pupil, you're looking at a 12mm eyepiece.  The 12mm Delos would be an excellent choice at that focal length.  My 10mm Delos is spectacular in all of my scopes.

With your 2x Barlow, you're then covered at ~6mm.

I would probably replace the 24mm Baader Hyperion with a 24mm Panoptic or APM Ultra Flat Field for better correction with widest field viewing.  Neither would barlow well to 12mm due to vignetting, so don't think about that option unless you replace the TV Barlow with PowerMate or similar telecentric magnifier.

A 3.5mm Pentax XW or Delos might be a good highest power option for you.  Another would be a 3.3mm or 4mm Tak TOE or a 3.4mm Vixen HR.  Both of the these would slightly outperform the XW and Delos on planets and double stars on the nights of best seeing at the expense of field of view and eye relief.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a TV60, which is quite similar in specs. With it, I want a 24mm, 9mm, and then 3.5.

Al Nagler suggested: 24 Pan, 9mm Nagler, and TV Nagler zoom. I completely agree with him on this.

I have 24 Pan, Nikon MC1 zoom 21_9mm, and Vixen HR 3.4mm and 2.4mm.

• Thanks 1

Alot of good advice from Louis. I fitted a lightweight FeatherTouch to my FS60 and did enjoy using 2" eyepieces in it for the widefield views. That said, the 24mm Panoptic is lovely and will give you 4.5 degrees anyway which is plenty, and it is much lighter weight.

3.5mm is a good high mag focal length from my experience. It will show you some useful planetary and lunar detail, and split reasonably close doubles too. It's certainly not a planetary scope but one you can have alot of fun with.

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

My 10mm Delos is spectacular in all of my scopes.

My experience too. And so in my scopes is the 8mm. The Tak TOE 4mm I think is also exceptional as is the Vixen HR 3.4.  Less expensive but still very good imo Baader Morpheus - I’ve been impressed with the 6.5mm.  Of course, you could also go all ‘purist’ and try one or two of the Tak orthos, again excellent, if you don’t mind the narrower fov.  We’re spoilt for choice 😑

• Like 1

Thank You So Much For All The Excellent Advice, I Think I'm Leaning Towards The TV 10mm Delos And I Like The Eye Relief Of The Delos And Pentax, But I'm Willing To Try The 3.5mm Vixen HR..... Again Thank You So Much Guy's, Nothing Better Than Getting Advice From Seasoned Pro's..... 

As Vixen HR's are currently unavailable, id suggest grabbing a Takahashi 4mm TOA. Then id get a 17.5mm Morpheus, which will give you a nice wide field with dark sky background and high contrast. The 17.5mm Morpheus barlows beautifully, so you'd have essentially a 9mm eyepiece giving great views.

Or, forget the expensive eyepieces and buy a binoviewer and a second 15mm TV plossl or ES 16mm. Then buy the 17.5mm Morpheus.  You'll not regret it!

Edited by mikeDnight

39 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

As Vixen HR's are currently unavailable, id suggest grabbing a Takahashi 4mm TOA. Then id get a 17.5mm Morpheus, which will give you a nice wide field with dark sky background and high contrast. The 17.5mm Morpheus barlows beautifully, so you'd have essentially a 9mm eyepiece giving great views.

Or, forget the expensive eyepieces and buy a binoviewer and a second 15mm TV plossl or ES 16mm. Then buy the 17.5mm Morpheus.  You'll not regret it!

The HRs are available from Bresser in Germany.

https://www.bresser.de/en/Astronomy/Accessories/Eyepieces/Vixen-HR-42-Eyepiece-3-4mm-1-25.html

• Like 1