Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M82

Starwiz

26 hours of Ha data, so I think I'm about done with this one for now.

I'm in a Bortle 5 so no starburst activity showed up in LRGB, just in the Ha.

I think I was making up the processing as I did it.  I processed both Ha and Luminance separately, then combined these into a single layer for the luminance.  The Ha layer looked better if I set the mode to 'Lighten' rather than 'Screen', so I left it at that.

John

M82_Colour_29_02_20.jpg

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Looks great. Did you add the mono ha as a layer or did you just add it to red channel? 

http://bf-astro.com/tutorial/addHa.htm

This is a great way to do it.

Thanks.  That looks interesting.  I'll have a go when I get time and compare it to what I posted today.

I added the Ha as a mono layer and set the mode to 'lighten'.   The red channel was in a separate layer.

I used clipping masks for each data layer to set the colour and saturation levels, etc.

John

Looks great and excellent framing.

If you're open to suggestions, if you lighten the background a little to R:G:B = 23:23:23 (advice I received on this forum), or thereabouts, even more of the hydrogen and outlaying nebulosity starts to appear and the background sky looks more natural and less clipped.

As already suggested incorporating Ha into Red as a lighten layer can produce very pleasing results - worth a shot perhaps.

Adrian

8 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

Looks great and excellent framing.

If you're open to suggestions, if you lighten the background a little to R:G:B = 23:23:23 (advice I received on this forum), or thereabouts, even more of the hydrogen and outlaying nebulosity starts to appear and the background sky looks more natural and less clipped.

As already suggested incorporating Ha into Red as a lighten layer can produce very pleasing results - worth a shot perhaps.

Adrian

Thanks.  And thanks for the tip.  I'll have another play with it.

John