Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Check your belt mod.....

gazza

Hi had a disastrous night last night with my  Rowan belt modded HEQ5. This is in no way the fault of the Rowan mod, but entirely my fault in installation. The mount had been working superbly for a couple of years, but the last couple of nights out, I found guiding was pretty bad, It looked like cable drag - sudden jumps in ra, then last night (incidentally the best night for 3 months for imaging) it became hard to get accurate slews, and guiding was impossible.  OK, it's 1 am on a great night, the penny drops. Check the mount, off with the side cover... &%&^%&%^ the motor had slipped next to the idler, and had jammed an effectively destroyed the belt. I had obviously not tightened the cap screws holding everything down tight enough, my fault entirely. Unfortunately there were no grinding noises to warn me. In future I think I'll check everything as part of a maintenance routine. New belts ordered, but I expect they will take a few weeks to get to Australia.

Maybe you should check yours?

cheers

Gary