NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Flats in the field.

Redscouse

16 hours ago, Jkulin said:

My worry would be that it claims to be a honeycomb design, if so then the image maybe broken up and not a totally flat unbroken white.

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.
I'd hope to diffuse any oddities using a handkerchief/t-shirt.

2 hours ago, Redscouse said:

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.
I'd hope to diffuse any oddities using a handkerchief/t-shirt.

Hi, I guessed you might think that, but seriously it will not create an even pattern.

A while ago I bought some drawing flat panels which had a honeycomb effect and there was no way to hide them with a white t-shirt.

I eventually settled on these smaller flat panels and these larger flat panels they can be powered from a 12v feed off my Pegasus UPB and although the dimmer is fairly useless, I use white plastic sheets combined with theatre light gels to get the right ADU.

HTH

Yep take your time Adam getting the right ADU, I used SGP flats wizard but have used APT for doing this previously. I then sandwich the gels between the light panel and the appropriate perspex sheet so it doesn't get scratched.

The difference this made to my flats was unbelievable.

• Like 1

@Jkulin Thanks for the heads-up. 👍
Still getting my head around calibration frames. Darks are pretty easy, just pop the cap on and repeat the imaging schedule. Flats/Bias, I'm just getting used too. Haven't even tried Dark-Flats. (I mean, how on earth do you take a dark light image? 😕 )
The flat panel I ordered is due on Thursday so will test it out. If it shows the beehive pattern I'll be straight onto them links you've kindly provided and ordering some. 

My flats panel is lit with dots all over it.  I first of all thought it would not work (it's a tracing board off Ebay) , but so long as I put a couple of sheets of paper in front of it, it works just fine. 

So since your panel on the way I'd try it out before buying a 2nd light source.

Carole 

Hi Carole, 

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a whirl when it arrives and see if it leaves a pattern. If it does I'll try paper/tshirts etc. to see if I can hide it, if all else fails I'll grab one of them drawing boards from the links above. 
As a side note, I did actually build one of my own, (see images below - I never got around to finalising it as I wasn't convinced the leds were bright enough) it kinda works although it ended up being a lot longer than I anticipated (165mm) so hardly portable hence me still looking for one I can cart around with me. 

Pete.

IMG_20200211_190118.thumb.jpg.038d395aa758f28eb44111a6747592f4.jpg IMG_20200211_190139.thumb.jpg.9e456e3635e090e4e54d41718a8c88e5.jpg IMG_20200211_190152.thumb.jpg.6db3f8b46334668a5a88d8cc993a302b.jpg IMG_20200211_190202.thumb.jpg.508060afcb72ce08ba182e42d4fc744e.jpg

Edited by Redscouse
  • Like 1