NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First light with TS 102 f7

grjsk

My new TS Optics 102 mm f7 ed scope had just arrived, and even though the moon was big and threatening, I just had to give it a go. This was an evening of firsts; I also chose to check out a local dark spot about 25 min away from me. It's bortle 5, which is a lot better than Bortle 8 sky I live under. It was also completely free from any man made light!

When I arrived there where no need for any red light, the moon gave me all the light I needed to set up. Oh well. 

Up until now I have only used a red dot as a finder. This evening I tried out a 6x30, and star hopping was so much easier! Point with the red dot, star hop with the finder, and boom, the target right in sight. I very nice combo indeed. 

Even the M42 was dangerously close to the moon I had to start there. I have previously been a bit dissapointed with the view of it in my 70 mm frac back home, but this time it was a marvel to look at, even with the moon creating a lot of light. No need for averted vision, I could clearly see alot even without it. I took a snap shot with my iPhone, and I was surprised I actually saw colors! To moon glow is very visible though. 

I went on to M31. I was expecting much, but at least I could clearly see it. Snapped a picture here as well. 

I roamed around a bit, enjoying the freedom I felt the 6x30 gave me. M45, the Hyeades, all around Orion, before I turned to the moon. My scope was frosting up, and I started to get cold, so I wrapped it up.

I'll certainly invest 25 min driving to this spot again another time!

scope.thumb.jpg.85325e08decdaacc4942c1f6c38e6062.jpg

Orion Nebula.jpg

Andromeda.jpg

Moon.jpg

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, grjsk said:

Point with the red dot, star hop with the finder, and boom, the target right in sight. I very nice combo indeed. 

I've got exactly  the same combo on my Dob, I reckon it's amazing - anything I can see with the naked eye and therefore using the red-dot finder I can expect to have in the centre of the optical finder within about 30 seconds flat.  When I used to only have the optical finder I could easily still be waving the scope around after twenty minutes and still would not have found the first calibration star for the goto.  It also makes the scope useable when I just want a single target like a planet and don't need the tracking, i.e. jupiter or the moon.

• Like 1

Hi some nice snaps on your iPhone 👍

Personally when it comes to planetary and Luna observation, then I do this from home (even though light pollution) as I do not consider some light pollution to be that much of a problem with Luna and planetary observation.

But when it comes to DSO then darkness ,as dark as you can get is where you need to be. The darker the better. Then I do think it is worth the effort and time to travel and go to a true dark site as the DSO just pop to the eyes Sooo much better 😵

• Like 1