Full (ish) Moon and Clear Nights Conjunction

John

The next few nights we have some reasonable forecasts for clearish skies - the best that I've seen for quite a while. But the Moon is going to be 85% - 100% full and will dominate the night sky.

I love observing the Moon so it's not a dead loss by any means but it does seem to me that clear skies and a bright moon do seem to occur quite frequently.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or is there actually a reason (apart from sods law for the DSO fan) why these things seem to happen together :icon_scratch:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, John said:

it does seem to me that clear skies and a bright moon do seem to occur quite frequently.

I've been what you could call an amateur meteorologist since my teens @John and I too used to be amazed at how often ( in winter especially ) the full moon would coincide with clear frosty nights, where the frosty grass would sparkle in the moonlight.

I never did any research into the phenomena as such, but it did seem to be a very regular coincidence. Interesting.

33 minutes ago, John said:

The next few nights we have some reasonable forecasts for clearish skies - the best that I've seen for quite a while. But the Moon is going to be 85% - 100% full and will dominate the night sky.

I love observing the Moon so it's not a dead loss by any means but it does seem to me that clear skies and a bright moon do seem to occur quite frequently.

Is my memory playing tricks on me or is there actually a reason (apart from sods law for the DSO fan) why these things seem to happen together :icon_scratch:

Typically I'm in Brussels for most of the week, always the way!!

• Sad 2