Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PAINS of the Celestron powerseeker

Well my Celestron powerseeker that was sold to me as new unused ,if you remember it was more used and abused well last night the focuser went bad so it's no more 

Got a new toy not brand new but new to me I got a pristine skywatcher sky scan 2001 on the EQ3-2 mount OMG it's so much nicer to use even the motor off the powerseeker fitted to it , just need to adjust the red dot scope and all will be good 

The 150/750 F5 makes so much difference , any way  him up there decided I was having to much fun so gave me cloud cover . I am a very happy guy 

Edited by Neil H
  • Like 8

Yep the 150 is a very good size and the quality is much better in this size

As I also said in your last post was no point to upgrade to a 1300mm from the 114 just go to 150.

You should be happy for a long time with this scope its semi big but still portable 

The mirror on these are the better parabolic and the norm come with a 2 inch focuser 

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar
  • Like 1

Just hoping it's going to be clear Saturday night , it's always clear when I am at work , that the only problem being a weekend watcher , you never know I may get back on days at some point 

I having no luck finding a dovetail conversion so may have to make ( Wilcox rings ?) So the telescope goes back in the same place each time I have to remove it off it's rings 

Ok ya the head of the eq3 is not a vixen bar type  but u can just loosen rings and turn the tube left and right depending if the angle is not great.

U can also if need move the tube bit higher or lower too.

Having both the vixen one is bit easier but the older eq3 is ok still just needs getting used to

It only becomes an issue if u got a couple scopes and u have to unbolt and re bolt the rings everytime u change scopes

If that's the only scope u have the rings just stay on there.if u can carry whole setup in one PC then do that if not take the mount tripod and ring then the tube.

You dont take the rings and tube off everytime u move the mount it do u?

Ps Neil one of my up coming vids is about comparing the eq3 to cg4.i already recorded it but havnt post it yet. Should be in a few weeks time (3 )

Joejaguar 

• Like 1

Ok that's the way to do it

It does take couple min to do but it's best option for u right now

There could be an option to convert it to vixen rail but not sure it will be worth the cost

On the used market the eq3 sells for 125 cdn u can convert that to UK if u like the cg4 maybe 200.

Maybe one day u can upgrade to that but like I said I have both the eq3 is ok too I have it just takes 2 min longer to do.

People with truss dobs have to assemble it then collimate it that's a pain but each to their own

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

Hi Neil,

Your new mount is an EQ-3, and appears to have the same old-style mounting-interface as that of your "PowerSeeker" CG-2.  I have a CG-2 as well, and I had replaced that interface with a Vixen-type.

My Celestron CG-4 is an EQ-3, but with tubular-steel legs instead of those of aluminum.  I don't care for the steel legs myself.  It came with a Vixen-type interface...

https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/revelation-dovetail-mount.html#SID=1718

Wilcox-rings...

http://www.andysshotglass.com/wilcox_rotating_rings.html

You can also use a spare tube-ring to effect that.  You would have to add Teflon to it, and to slide against one of the rings holding the telescope.

Congratulations on your find.  Keep looking up, and clear skies to you always.

Edited by Alan64

Hi Allen 49 UK is decent but how does Neil bolt to the top of his mount plate tho.

DIY stuff is where I'm not a pro on 

If Neil has to bolt new holes and bolt and nuts, are u ok with that Neil?

Could that lower the value if he ever sells the mount with extra holes in it? And will it be secure?

I know this can be done with other applications but not but not 100%sure if it will fit that specific mount top plate

Joejaguar 

Ok heres another thought not saying Allen way is right or wrong. 

As I said the difference from eq3-2 to cg4 is 75 cdn or about 49uk. That's same price as the adptor and he wount have to fool around hoping it will fit and work

But then its the same money hes not getting the 1.75inches  tripod that comes with cg4.  So if he ever gets it even used that's about 100 cdn or another 60uk.

It may make more sense to find a used cg4 and trade or sell the eq3-2.

That way it comes with a much better tripod that's more stable and the vixen head too

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

And there upon the Acropolis, poised, albeit not so humbly, upon the steps of the Parthenon; and with Plato and Aristotle just within earshot...

A flat bar, of aluminum or steel, or a dovetail-bar even, and attached to the existing saddle in place of the rings, like so...

956442902_SGNeilssaddle2.jpg.bd07869080f3b23395da42eba459655e.jpg

To rise to the level of the higher edges of the saddle, or just slightly above...

521468638_SGNeilssaddle3.jpg.92d3d91bf2fe1ebfb03e323025d98ab2.jpg

...the bar may need to be shimmed at the ends, like so...

786922670_SGNeilssaddle4.jpg.2e32d501d3f1899daaec4e2b1287c6a6.jpg

...the shims of wood, preferably of oak or walnut.  The Vixen-type saddle would then be attached to the center of the bar.  Some basic measurements would be required, but just that, basic.

The original saddle would remain intact, no holes to be drilled into it, as if you'd want to preserve such an archaic interface in the first place.

Edited by Alan64

On 02/02/2020 at 16:12, Neil H said:

Well my Celestron powerseeker that was sold to me as new unused ,if you remember it was more used and abused well last night the focuser went bad so it's no more 

Got a new toy not brand new but new to me I got a pristine skywatcher sky scan 2001 on the EQ3-2 mount OMG it's so much nicer to use even the motor off the powerseeker fitted to it , just need to adjust the red dot scope and all will be good 

The 150/750 F5 makes so much difference , any way  him up there decided I was having to much fun so gave me cloud cover . I am a very happy guy 

Oh, you want to ensure that the RA-axis, its gear and worm, rotate freely and butter-smooth, with no slop or binding, before you use the motor-drive with it.  Given the mount's age, I would suggest a take-apart of the mount-head, both the RA and DEC axes, for a thorough cleaning and removal of the old factory-grease, and to replace that with new grease, like Super Lube.  Also, it may help to polish all of the bearing surfaces.  I use #0000 steel-wool and a light machine-oil for that, but only if you encounter any rough surfaces.

Edited by Alan64

Great stuff allan

So Neil up to u what to do then

Only downfall is it will be the same cost to buy the vixen bar and new top plate, as just buying a used cg4. Then as I said in last post it's still the aluminium tripod not 1.75inche steel tripod.

The tripod alone costs new 225 plus taxes or 100cdn used.

Lastly the cg4 will be alot newer than the eq3-2 since that model came out as early as 2000.

So Neil up to u what u want to do.

Theres no right or wrong just prefrence 

Ok Neil I will realese  the eq3 vs cg4 toinght.look out for the video u should get notice since your a member of my channel.

Joejaguar 

4 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

Great stuff allan

So Neil up to u what to do then

Only downfall is it will be the same cost to buy the vixen bar and new top plate, as just buying a used cg4. Then as I said in last post it's still the aluminium tripod not 1.75inche steel tripod.

The tripod alone costs new 225 plus taxes or 100cdn used.

Lastly the cg4 will be alot newer than the eq3-2 since that model came out as early as 2000.

So Neil up to u what u want to do.

Theres no right or wrong just prefrence 

Ok Neil I will realese  the eq3 vs cg4 toinght.look out for the video u should get notice since your a member of my channel.

Joejaguar 

I don't think you could find a used CG-4 there in the UK, cheaply in any event, as most tend to go with the Sky-Watcher variants.  

22 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

I don't think you could find a used CG-4 there in the UK, cheaply in any event, as most tend to go with the Sky-Watcher variants.  

Ok I see then here in Canada is not so hard but ya I dont know market in UK

Joejaguar 

7 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

i guess for me tho if u have only 1 scope its really not that bad using the eq3-2, just open the rings put ota in and tighten the nuts and thats it.

joejaguar

Well, with the rings left on the OTA, they don't add that much more when storing same.

But if you leave the rings on the mount, that can be quite a different storage problem, not to mention the risk of the rings getting torn up in the process.

6 hours ago, joe aguiar said:

ok heres the video, ps i made this like 2 months ago but it didnt get posted till now and i was gonna post it in like 3 weeks time as i had others to go first, but i thought could help neil

https://youtu.be/nY0e1MK2JV4

joejaguar

The thing I found most interesting within that was that you, somehow, some way, ended up with the exact same mount as the OP's, yet continents apart.  It's nigh incredible, for that's the first time I've ever seen one.

What I think I will do is strip clean and regrease , then see how I get on if it's a real pain  with the rings wookie1965 found me a conversation plate to make it a dovetail ( I am saving for a skywatcher 200p on a EQ5 goto) so the 150/750 is only for now , I may still keep it when I have the new one , I need to weight up do I spend on this old mount or keep saving for my new one ,new one is winning right now 

Thanks guys for all the input I will keep you posted 

12 hours ago, Alan64 said:

Well, with the rings left on the OTA, they don't add that much more when storing same.

But if you leave the rings on the mount, that can be quite a different storage problem, not to mention the risk of the rings getting torn up in the process.

me personally i just take the whole thing in one shot but since neil said he will leave mount in garage i think then thats y i said leave rings always on mount.

joejaguar

6 hours ago, Neil H said:

What I think I will do is strip clean and regrease , then see how I get on if it's a real pain  with the rings wookie1965 found me a conversation plate to make it a dovetail ( I am saving for a skywatcher 200p on a EQ5 goto) so the 150/750 is only for now , I may still keep it when I have the new one , I need to weight up do I spend on this old mount or keep saving for my new one ,new one is winning right now 

wow you really are going big probally didnt think you would when u got the 114 right? but the hobby does that too you

the 8" is a really good size and probally as big as u can go with a reflector on a eq mount

btw the goto version is 2x the cost u can just get the 8"f/5 on a manual eq5 mount that be half price just a thought

joejaguar

10 hours ago, Neil H said:

I've always held dear within my heart and mind that the best EQ-3, is an EQ-5.