Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

In a quandary.

That's very kind of you Mike, how thoughtful.  My older eyes  (my youngest daughter gleefully told me I was officially an 'elderly' person the other day)  need a bit more light than a four inch telescope provides at the magnifications my 120ED will support, but thanks anyway.  :icon_salut:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I'd forgot about the 115ED Vixen. If its lighter than the 120ED as Martin believes, I think I'd be tempted to keep hold of it. It will give better rich field views of star fields than a C6 and if it ticks the lunar and planetary box, then why let it go. And "it looks good," it's a win win or at least that's how it seems.

Is the Vixen 115S lens made by Canon Optron like the old fluorites were, and the modern Tak fluorites are? If so, I'd definitely think twice about selling it.

Don’t think the newer optics were Mike but the couple I’ve seen through were very good not Tak crisp but close 

• Like 1

I am really greatful for the contributions made in this discussion. I have to make special mention to Mike who very nearly, almost, but didn't part with his £1 to my crowd funding of an expensive scope,lol.

I do have a shorter 80mm Skywatcher Equinox which is comfortable to use due to it's much shorter length. 

I have my reasons for not sticking with a longish refractor. But I always get tempted with their allure. With the advice received I have narrowed my choice down to two scopes. It would be for higher power viewing of the moon and planets as the 80mm would be used for wider field and solar viewing. Also ease of use from a viewing position point of view. 

It will be either a Celestron C6 oe an Orion Optics UK VX 150mm F5 Newtonian.