Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Have I killed my synscan handset??

Stupidly I have updated my synscan V3 handset to the latest firmware as it mentioned it was also for AZ mounts but clear it wasn't meant for my old AZ mount.

Now the handset works but it won't connect to my mount any more. 

I can't find the firmware it was on originally and I believe it was 3.8.

My mount it the one pictured.

I've looked online for the firmware but with no luck.

Hopefully there is a way to roll back to the firmware it was originally on.

Synscan_AZ_GOTO_Mount_Tripod.jpg

The Synscan v3 handset doesn't need a separate firmware for AltAZ. The cable plugged in will be for an AltAZ mount, the handset will detect that and drive the mount.

The firmware for v3 handsets can be found here:

http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-v3-hand-controller-firmware/

It sounds like you downloaded the firmware for the AZGTi mount possibly.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Ade

The firmware for the mount itself can be found here: http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/motor-control-firmware/

It's right at the bottom and listed as: Synscan AZ Goto Mount V2.09.

It's a while since I updated one of these so you'll need to read the instruction manual for the mount and handset to check the update procedure.

Ade

4 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

The Synscan v3 handset doesn't need a separate firmware for AltAZ. The cable plugged in will be for an AltAZ mount, the handset will detect that and drive the mount.

The firmware for v3 handsets can be found here:

http://www.skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-v3-hand-controller-firmware/

It sounds like you downloaded the firmware for the AZGTi mount possibly.

Hope the above helps.

Regards,

Ade

I downloaded the 3.39.10 firmware, all I can think is i plugged the power lead into the controller and not the mount. That would explain the warning about not motors being detected.

20 minutes ago, Lordspace said:

I downloaded the 3.39.10 firmware, all I can think is i plugged the power lead into the controller and not the mount. That would explain the warning about not motors being detected.

The method for updating a Synscan v3 handset is to attach the serial data cable to the pc and the smaller socket on the handset,  press 0+8 on the handset and connect the power cord into the handset and switch the power on. The handset will then go into firmware update mode. If the handset is powered up but not put into update mode the handset will give the message "motors not detected, switching to stand alone mode".

Firmware v3.39.10 works for az and eq mounts. The handset detects the mount type and sets the alignment and tracking accordingly.

3 hours ago, Lordspace said:

Yes, just powering the handset would give a no motors detected error.

Hopefully that's problem solved for you.

Ade