Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DxO Photolabs 3

dannybgoode

For those that don't know DxO it is an alternative to Lightroom whose biggest selling point has been the baked in lens correction profiles for just about any camera under the sun. They test camera/lens combos or just the camera in the case of fixed lens systems in their labs and measure the distortion etc and develop correction profiles accordingly.  The downside is that up until recently if a camera wasn't in the database it would not open the image and you could not work on it.

But now you can.  So what has this to do with Astro imaging.  DxO Photolabs 3 has a new feature they call the colour wheel and this allows you to alter the tone of an individual colour and also its saturation in a way I've not seen implemented in other packages.  This allows you to very quickly balance the colours or to drop out the saturation altogether very quickly and very intuitively.

It will work with any TIFF, DNG or JPG file and I can see it being really useful for a quick final going over of astro images - indeed it was me that requested they unlock the software to be able to work on images from unknown cameras for this purpose.

30 day unlimited free trial so worth a look :)

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

For those that don't know DxO it is an alternative to Lightroom whose biggest selling point has been the baked in lens correction profiles for just about any camera under the sun. They test camera/lens combos or just the camera in the case of fixed lens systems in their labs and measure the distortion etc and develop correction profiles accordingly.  The downside is that up until recently if a camera wasn't in the database it would not open the image and you could not work on it.

But now you can.  So what has this to do with Astro imaging.  DxO Photolabs 3 has a new feature they call the colour wheel and this allows you to alter the tone of an individual colour and also its saturation in a way I've not seen implemented in other packages.  This allows you to very quickly balance the colours or to drop out the saturation altogether very quickly and very intuitively.

It will work with any TIFF, DNG or JPG file and I can see it being really useful for a quick final going over of astro images - indeed it was me that requested they unlock the software to be able to work on images from unknown cameras for this purpose.

30 day unlimited free trial so worth a look :)

I have DxO Its quite easy to use, dont get on with photoshop, not had a chance to us lightroom, so cant comment on that

I don't have an astro photos to demonstrate the colour wheel on so grabbed a couple of screenshots on another photo I'm working on.  See how just by desaturating the green it only affects the engine - that is literally just by moving the saturation slider on the colour wheel all the way to the left. (top right tool bar of the tool bar under the histogram).

Got to be useful for astro work - particularly killing any green...

2020-01-13.png

2020-01-13 (1).png

• Like 1

On 13/01/2020 at 18:51, dannybgoode said:

Got to be useful for astro work - particularly killing any green...

Having a little play with it now, as a photographer, looking pretty good, got to be usefull for astro, also like that it has noise reduction ;)

Edited by Frank the Troll
  • Like 1