Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dual Setup Suggestions

I wouldn't try to make a dual rig for simultaneous shooting with a reflector. It's likely that mirror movement will produce trailing on one side. But is it your plan to have alternative fields of view? If so you'll be wanting something with half or less the metre FL of the Quattro? My favourite scope in this  class is the original Tak FSQ106N. They go for reasonable prices and can cover full frame chips. Personally I prefer them to the new ED106 scopes but I do have some odd opinions! 😃

Olly

Edit: I wouldn't guide the refractor with an OAG on the reflector, either, since mirror movement may get you that way as well. You may not have been planning this but I mention it just in case.

Edited by ollypenrice

Piggy backed will be much easier to balance than side by side with such different scopes..  

The Esprit100 is pretty good too, 550mm fl, with the flattener it covers APS-H which is a bit smaller then full frame....  what camera are you thinking of using ? 

Olly..  do you have a source for used FSQ106Ns..  other than your linen cupboard! 

Dave

Edited by Laurin Dave

1 hour ago, Singlin said:

Thanks Olly and  Happy new year!

That is the focal legnth that I was thinking of.

Would a side by side setup favour a piggy back setup?

Side by side is stiffest. Piggyback relies on the integrity of the lower tube rings and also greatly increases the required counterweight.

54 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Piggy backed will be much easier to balance than side by side with such different scopes..  

The Esprit100 is pretty good too, 550mm fl, with the flattener it covers APS-H which is a bit smaller then full frame....  what camera are you thinking of using ? 

Olly..  do you have a source for used FSQ106Ns..  other than your linen cupboard! 

Dave

I agree, the Esprit would be another good choice. Old FSQs do appear. I found mine pretty much 'on demand' but the one in our linen cupboard isn't mine! It's destined for eventual dual rig duty on a robotic rig, based here.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice
Typo
  • Like 1

Hmm, with the risk of hi-jacking the thread, I have had the same thought. Adding a piggy backed refractor to my RC. I wouldn't want to change anything on my RC and keep the OAG, because everything is working flawlessly. 

I guess my question would be :  how much do I risk messing up a perfectly working rig? 

I'd have thought that so long as the piggybacked stuff doesn't cause any distortion (cant think why it would ) of your RC and mess its images up then it'll be ok.  Not sure they'd work at the same time though (flex) so you'd want a separate guidescope for the refractor, plenty of images of folks with setups like this out there.