Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How do I save RAW images from Canon?

ollypenrice

Olly, I don't know the menu on the 1000D, but I'm gonna assume it's similar in operation to the 450d. Firstly, the camera will not take RAW images in any of the scene modes, so from the green square anti clockwise, these modes will use jpg regardless of how you set the camera. You have to use P or clockwise from there for RAW. Second, in the first page of the menu, top item (Quality Settings), set to RAW or RAW+JPG. RAW+JPG is going to use space a whole lot faster though as it will save a RAW plus a HiQ JPG for each image.

Oops... Sorry Olly, misread that. What software on the PC are you using ? Windows image importer thingy is unable to read the RAW files and therefore won't download them. You need to use something like ZoombrowserEX that shipped with the camera or if you have it Lightroom.

Vista can display thumbnails of the raws once you have the neccessary stuff installed but i still prefer to save both raws and jpegs and use the jpegs to preview the frames. With the number of frames your likely to take when your imagign then theres no problem savign both ... a couple of 4GB cards will be ample.

Picasa reads the Nikon NEF RAW files, so I would imagine that it would read the Canon's. Also exports them as JPeg, not as good as a proper RAW reader. there was a plug in released by MS for the Picture Viewer for reading RAW files.

There are a couple free / shareware options to try here http://www.photo-freeware.net/image-editing.php

Archie

Archived