Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Not all USB3 hubs are created equal

TerryMcK

While we having been having a cloudy spell in the UK I took the opportunity to doing some more cable management on my wide field rig.

It had a faulty generic USB3 hub (one port didn't work at all) so replaced it for one I had lying another from a manufacturer called Sabrent. It had USB3 on the label and all the ports and cable were blue as per USB3 standard.

Last night we had a little cloud break so went out to do some imaging.

The first issue I had was with PHD2 guiding constantly dropping connection to the ZWO ASI120. Then to compound it images from the ASI183 were not downloading from the camera. I gave up in the end as the clouds rolled in.

This morning I loaded ASICAP and on closer examination noticed my 183 was "connected via USB2" !!!!! The Sabrent USB3 hub has all blue coloured ports and my USB3 repeater cable was plugged into the USB3 port on my imaging laptop.

So I bypassed the Sabrent "USB3" hub and plugged the camera straight into the USB3 repeater cable. Bingo - ASICAP reported it was connected via USB3.

I have now swapped out the Sabrent hub for an Anker 4 port USB3 hub and can report that the Anker is indeed a proper USB3 hub.

My problem is solved. But take care when buying goods like these as they might not be what they say they are.

Edited by TerryMcK
  • Like 2