Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 72ED and OVL Field Flattener

Stuf1978

Hi all, 

Does anyone use this combination when imaging with a dslr and if so can you achieve focus with just the scope, FF and camera adaptor? I've read conflicting reports on whether you can achieve focus with this combo. 

Thanks

There is a thread about the 72ED and flatteners here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that combo works, especially if it's a new 72ED as the tube length has been shortened by 10mm

Edit - added link

Edited by knobby
Added info

20 minutes ago, knobby said:

There is a thread about the 72ED and flatteners here somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that combo works, especially if it's a new 72ED as the tube length has been shortened by 10mm

Edit - added link

Brilliant thank you. Yeah it's the new 72ED so should be fine 👍

• Like 1

On 27/12/2019 at 18:36, AstroExploring said:

I use the 72ED with FF and M48 adapter with DSLR with no focus issues. Was using it last night in fact. 

DA04F6D4-7503-4B16-AB8E-70AC99D55686.jpeg

Is that the skywatcher FF/reducer? 

I've ordered the OVL flattener from FLO so I guess I'll find out if this perpetual blanket of cloud ever disappears from the north east. 

7 hours ago, AstroExploring said:

Yeah I’ve got the ED80 FF/reducer with the adapter to connect to 72ED. The OVL will work no problems. 
Hope you get some clear skies, it’s supposed to be clear down here tonight! 

Thanks, yeah clear outside is indicating it should be ok after midnight tonight (just in time for orion to clear the tree line to the south of my house) 😁

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 29/12/2019 at 10:28, AstroExploring said:

Yeah I’ve got the ED80 FF/reducer with the adapter to connect to 72ED. The OVL will work no problems. 
Hope you get some clear skies, it’s supposed to be clear down here tonight! 

Hi Mate  does the 80 reducer have any better effect than the one for the 72 ED .85x reducer??  thanks

On 09/10/2021 at 12:57, boulderbelly said:

Hi Mate  does the 80 reducer have any better effect than the one for the 72 ED .85x reducer??  thanks

At the time it was the only one available from Sky-Watcher and they supplied an adapter to match the thread for the 72ED. I believe they now make a dedicated one for the 72ED so that would be the one to get as unless you find an 80ED one with an adapter it won’t fit. 

• Like 1

Hi Mate 😃 thanks for the update Much Appreciated!👍👍   I went and Bought a .85x FF from skywatcher from Harrisons to match the SW 72 ED along with a 48 T ring for my canon 2000d and the camera rotator by evoframe and a  CLS  clip in filter.  I usually go to FLO but they had none so.  looking forward to the clouds disppearing!

clear skies Mate!

• Like 1