NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Wall/mount storage for OTA

I've got a Celestron C6N 150mm newt that I currently store stood up when not in use, with the AZ4 that goes with folded up nearby. To keep it out of harms way and save some space I've been thinking about wall mounting it - it's not hard to find a stud to affix a mount to. Has anyone done something similar and can recommend a clamp or similar that would do the job, or an alternative that's worked as well or better?

An alternative that I have used is a tray or shelf, or similar, at the desired base height. Then a bungee cord somewhere near the top.
This idea is still in use in a corner of the observatory. Tripods/mounts can be similarly supported.

Another solution I used in the (pre-shed) past was a cheap (real wood) bookshelf.
I adapted this to hold an 8" OTA and EQ5 mount. Notches out of shelves, etc.
The reason for using real wood (not chipboard/melaine coated) was that I could easily screw/glue the add on bits to hold everything.
To keep the dust out, I used a curtain across the front.
For a bit more money you could use a cupboard that has doors. Ikea 'billy' bookcase range comes to mind.
That would be acceptable in a living room. My knocked around bookshelf with curtain was in a spare bedroom.

I suppose you could look at kitchen cupbards for wall mounting?

HTH, David.

I use shelves and arrange everything such that the OTA cannot roll, but I have also seen shelves with extra supports fixed on the top surface, an appropriate size arc having been removed from the top edge of the support to match the tube diameter.  The tube then just lies on top.

James

Take a visit to your local pub or brewery and get inspiration from the little wooden 'cradle' racks that support beer casks.  I made one to fit my 8" OTA. Works a charm whilst a trip to the pub on a mission is a great activity on a cloudy night.