NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Whats going on with my Jellyfish..Help!

Craig123

An ADU of 2590 is a tenth of what is required, are you sure its correct?  Open the file in PI and hover over it .. the K value should be 0.4-0.5..  or use the Image Statistics. process.   Perhaps try an Ipad set to a white screen (drawing app) with some sheets of paper to diffuse the light.... or if the sun comes out sky flats

Dave

8 hours ago, Craig123 said:

Would you say that sub I uploaded of flaming star looked to be suffering from light leak. To me the gradient on the left  seems far less on this  last try than  was evident on the original jellyfish sub. 

If its still there I'm stumped as to why.. 

Yes, it is there and yes it's going to hurt your data. You need to solve that.

image.png.e4c24650da8cf78fd15d1ee8d9b6461e.png

As you can see - it is stronger than target signal and that is really not good.

With one of darks you posted removed it looks like this:

image.png.e740b8de05dd44b8129a530c9121d330.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Maybe post some photos and a description of your setup..  what sort of filter wheel do you use?  Are you using an OAG... maybe the lights getting in through these

Dave

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Thanks that is mega helpful 👍 will keep looking. I will post picture of  my set up see if anyone can spot a flaw. 

16 minutes ago, whipdry said:

Think it's already mentioned it's a manual filter wheel... I'd agree having a few pictures of the setup has to be the way forward! 

Peter 

Yes the wheel is open where you turn it. Maybe  that's it. I thought light was coming off my laptop so I reset screen to red night vision but its still there.... Could it be hand control for Heq5 glowing red. That's the only thing near the sensor I can think of. It looked dark  all round my set up this time.. 🤔🤔🤔

Will pst a set up pic. Thanks 

Edited by Craig123

57 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Maybe post some photos and a description of your setup..  what sort of filter wheel do you use?  Are you using an OAG... maybe the lights getting in through these

Dave

A manual wheel but no OAG Dave. The panel is not good but adu is around 25000 with 5 secs exp , gain 200 and offset 64 using Ha filter 

41 minutes ago, Hallingskies said:

I had a manual filter wheel and had the same problem as you.  I wrapped it in ali foil held on by an elastic band, problem solved.

image.jpeg.e23d220723c93aff80e236d835568a67.jpeg

Looks good. I'm not going to be popular in the kitchen with all the foil I've been  using all of a sudden. I just hope that's what the problem is. There's a little ambient light coming from bedroom curtains above and  behind where  the scope is pointing but I didn't think it would affect my subs too much. 

Thanks for the suggestion. 

Craig

On 21/12/2019 at 10:08, whipdry said:

Think it's already mentioned it's a manual filter wheel... I'd agree having a few pictures of the setup has to be the way forward! 

Peter 

There's a few set up pictures Peter. There is a big opening on the optic star manual wheel which was close to a laptop and  there was some light through the curtains of the house behind my scope.. Just a little but maybe that's enough to produce the big gradient on subs. 

Craig 

IMG_20191130_084849.jpg

IMG_20191121_190016.jpg

IMG_20191121_190003.jpg

Hi Craig..  it’ll be the filter wheel leaking light..(there’s an old thread on here somewhere where another member has the same issue)   also not sure how thick the filter wheel is, the reason I say this is because the correct flattener to sensor distance for your setup is 55mm, if different to this stars at the edges of the frame will be distorted ..  looks like you are using the ZWO spacers which with a ZWO filterwheel (21mm thick) give the correct spacing..  can’t be certain but your wheel looks somewhat thicker so spacing may be out

Dave

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Craig..  it’ll be the filter wheel leaking light..(there’s an old thread on here somewhere where another member has the same issue)   also not sure how thick the filter wheel is, the reason I say this is because the correct flattener to sensor distance for your setup is 55mm, if different to this stars at the edges of the frame will be distorted ..  looks like you are using the ZWO spacers which with a ZWO filterwheel (21mm thick) give the correct spacing..  can’t be certain but your wheel looks somewhat thicker so spacing may be out

Dave

Thanks Dave. Yes, hopefully the wheel is the culprit . It's quite dark out the back with fields in the direction im imaging bortle 5 but my house is behind the scope . If a put foil over the wheel that may fix the leak. How much should I be wary of ambient light from my house. Do I need to get blackout blinds for example... I didn't expect the system to be so unforgiving but I'm also surprised at the quality and design of some of the gear I've bought. 

Craig

Hi all. 

I posted a few pics of my setup on the Jellyfish imaging  night. The next session I did that you kindly looked  at  @Vlad of the flaming star, I dimmed the laptop down and put it on red night vision but its still quite close to the big gap in the wheel ( you can even read the info on the filter edges through it ).

How much do I need to be aware of light coming from the house. I try and keep it as dark as possible but my daughter sleeps with light on upstairs.

Is it mostly light hitting the sensor from a leak or do I need to go as far as blackout blinds all over the back of the house ? 

It looks dark around the camera now  except for handset and laptop but my eye might not pick up ambient light from around the garden.. or account for neighbour putting bathroom light on over the fence or similar. 

Many thanks 

IMG_20191130_084849.jpg

IMG_20191121_190016.jpg

IMG_20191121_190003.jpg

Edited by Craig123

1 hour ago, Laurin Dave said:

the correct flattener to sensor distance for your setup is 55mm, if different to this stars at the edges of the frame will be distorted ..  looks like you are using the ZWO spacers which with a ZWO filterwheel (21mm thick) give the correct spacing..  can’t be certain but your wheel looks somewhat thicker so spacing may be out

Dave

Thanks also for that Dave. I will check it again. Those spacers are the standard zwo ones. The wheel is 1mm thicker than the zwo efw if I remember rightly.

I also saw it stated 56mm was correct  to account for filters which was the distance i measured to sensor. 

That said there is very slight mishappen stars on one corner.. The same annoying corner with the light leak I think. 

5 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Hi Craig..   I'd think that you just need to cover the filter wheel to sort the light leak issue although the less ambient light about the better

Thanks Dave. I was starting to think I needed to move house 😂

..Of course the next clear night is Xmas eve.This hobby tests you to the limit. 

Edited by Craig123

17 minutes ago, Craig123 said:

Thanks Dave. I was starting to think I needed to move house 😂

..Of course the next clear night is Xmas eve.This hobby tests you to the limit. 

I think that quite often!  and yes it does but once you have it sorted its very rewarding.  Another thing to bear in mind is that just because the stuff looks black doesn't mean it doesn't reflect certain wavelengths.. IR can be a particular nuisance with anodised surfaces.  If you have the time before Xmas eve I'd suggest sorting the light leak..  

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2019 at 11:21, Laurin Dave said:

I think that quite often!  and yes it does but once you have it sorted its very rewarding.  Another thing to bear in mind is that just because the stuff looks black doesn't mean it doesn't reflect certain wavelengths.. IR can be a particular nuisance with anodised surfaces.  If you have the time before Xmas eve I'd suggest sorting the light leak..  

Dave

Hi Dave. 

I got back out on I C 443 around New year and the light leak  is gone. Thanks to you and Vlad for keeping me right here 

2020-01-04_07-34-28.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Did the tin foil do the trick?

Yes thanks .. Totally worked. Even for doing darks on the scope. However it was abit finicky with a dram or two of whisky on NYE with elastic bands pinging off when changing filters. 😁

• Haha 1