Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

64bit Image for Pi's

Dr_Ju_ju

If you've not heard, Canonical\Ubuntu have released a new 19.10 x32 & x64 bit server images for the RaspberryPi 3's & 4's (https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi). These allow the full 4 GB of ram (Pi4) to be used, with no restrictions etc....

As these are server images, they come without a desktop, but its a trivial matter to install a basic one, or a full blown Mate desktop, you could  even leave alone, if your going to run it headless.....

I've installed basic Mate & the full INDI\Ekos\PHD2 system, which all appears to work ok, but have yet to try it out in anger, as its a tad damp.....

Granted the current apps are only 32 bit, but with a fully supported 64 bit architecture, we may soon see full native 64 bit upgrades ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 14:47, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you've not heard, Canonical\Ubuntu have released a new 19.10 x32 & x64 bit server images for the RaspberryPi 3's & 4's (https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi). These allow the full 4 GB of ram (Pi4) to be used, with no restrictions etc....

As these are server images, they come without a desktop, but its a trivial matter to install a basic one, or a full blown Mate desktop, you could  even leave alone, if your going to run it headless.....

I've installed basic Mate & the full INDI\Ekos\PHD2 system, which all appears to work ok, but have yet to try it out in anger, as its a tad damp.....

Granted the current apps are only 32 bit, but with a fully supported 64 bit architecture, we may soon see full native 64 bit upgrades ??

And has this cured the 4gb problem - they released a server 64 bit before but had problems using USB3 and anything above 2GB  even with 64bit programs?

Just to see how far I can push one, and as I was after a single server, multi printer controller, combined with an 'on-board' slicer (various flavours), I've just finished a 3 Octoprint server host (can be extended) with PrusaSlicer & Cura, but will probably add others, all running on the same device