NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Moon 6 Dec 21:40

Laurin Dave

Not often I image the moon, but yesterday I swapped cameras and had my ASI1600mm on the Esprit 150. So taking advantage of this and the odd break in the clouds I captured a few videos through the R, G and B filters to see what I'd get..  unfortunately the camera was connected via USB2 so frame rate was agonisingly slow (only one powered USB3 on my laptop and the rest of the kit was plugged into that).  Processed it this morning in AS!3 and Registax and combined, aligned and coloured the channels in Photoshop.  Videos were taken over a 15 minute period and I was surprised by how much the illumination changes in that time..  Looked up why the colours differ...  apparently its due to the relative abundance of TiO and FeO in the surface minerals.. the more TiO the bluer. The contrast between the Seas of Tranquility and Serenity being quite apparent...   Whilst fiddling about trying to get rid of some colour artefacts I inverted the image..  it looks interesting so I've included it here (background changed to avoid blinding everyone).  It looks a bit like Europa to me in this colourway.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Moon_RGB_21_40_6Dec19_Cyansatn_Levels_Curves.thumb.jpg.a077766908380e7d92566684384bec72.jpg

638639381_TheMoonasDeathStar.thumb.jpg.191f362d12346fc803821359e03d0860.jpg

• Like 6